Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does Anyone Play an Instrument? >

Does Anyone Play an Instrument?

Does Anyone Play an Instrument?

Old 04-15-2023, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I took lessons on the piano from grade 4 through 11. I have a beautifully restored upright piano but my years of not practicing have caught up with me. I don't play anymore, because I compare what it sounds like now with what it sounded like when I was practicing regularly. I know I could start practicing again, but I'd rather spend my time doing other things, like quilting. And I don't think my hands would ever regain the nimbleness and strength they had when I was a teenager.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:10 PM

Dunster, you have so well captured what happens as we age and stop practicing regularly.

I grew up in a musical family and started music lessons at age 8 on an accordion. We soon got a piano so piano lessons were added. Then I made friends with someone who played the violin so I switched from accordion to violin for a few years until I met a new friend who taught me to play the clarinet over the summer between grade 8 and 9 so I could join the band with her in grade 9. The band teacher switched me over to saxophone to balance the instruments and I played alto and tenor sax until graduation. All that ended when I graduated and moved away from home because I no longer lived with the piano and could no longer rent an instrument affordably. I did inherit a piano and had it for about fifteen years until life circumstances forced me to sell it as it was too big and heavy to move around. Fast forward many, many years of longing to make my own music and I find myself with a flute and electric piano. I haven't even tried the flute and wow, rusty hands on the piano. I have to concentrate to read the music and it sometimes feels like my brain is splitting apart when each hand gets going on something different. My DH has a guitar and ukulele, neither of which I've heard him play, but every so often I think of taking up guitar. There's a YouTube video for learning anything these days. In the end, my musical creations aren't enough to satisfy the part of me that yearns for music and the whole process is so frustrating that it takes real will power to sit down and practice. I thought it would happen when I retired. Sigh....
Old 04-15-2023, 12:40 PM

Yes, Studied classical piano for many years. Played violin and soprano recorder in elementary and Jr. high school orchestra. Was the accompanist on piano and guitar for chorus in Jr. high and also for youth choir in church until graduating from high school. Played guitar and sang with a group of friends for 30+ years until 2 of them died about 6 years ago. Now I noodle around on the Ukulele- I can read tablature so am learning some baroque lute music that's been transcribed for Uke. Still have my guitar and a keyboard which I sometimes pull out and play. Gave my violin to oldest granddaughter when she was in High school orchestra 10 years ago-- don't miss it at all- I never enjoyed playing violin that was the one instrument that my mom made me learn LOL. At 63, my hands are not nearly as nimble as they used to be- esp. since I don't practice daily.

Rob
Old 04-15-2023, 05:11 PM

I play the radio!
Old 04-15-2023, 05:54 PM

I played piano from 4th to 8th grade. Evidently I was really good at the time. I played for several church events, dance recitals, and had my own recitals. When I hit 9th grade, I decided it was not cool to be playing in church, and for dance recitals! I retained virtually none of my ability, but certainly regret making that decision almost 60 years ago!
Old 04-15-2023, 07:36 PM

I play jazz violin occasionally and beginner piano tunes.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:56 AM

I've played the piano since I was 7 yrs. old, and the organ since I was about 11 yrs. old. I'm the church organist, and the substitute pianist when our regular pianist can't be there. She just had surgery this past week, so I'm filling in on the piano today.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I played the piano all my life, currently without one though.
I toted my childhood piano through many moves but the last time we moved I sold it. I was happy that it was going to a lady who wanted to teach her 2 little girls to play, which was like my family.
My piano teacher never sponsored recitals, so I was always shy about playing in public. The only audience I didn't mind was my late husband. He was very appreciative.

I went about 10 years, never touching a piano, then a friend bought a house and a piano. I was afraid it would not come back to me, but it did. The only thing, I don't really like the "tone" of her piano, it is not mellow, even though she paid a lot for it. I found out that in addition to "tuning" a piano, there is something called "voicing". That will affect how it sounds, whether it is going to be a solo instrument or needs to stand out in an ensemble.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:45 AM

I played the Clarinet in grade school, from 4th to 6th. I enjoyed the music part, but the new band teacher that started when I was in 5th grade was of an attitude that if you weren't a male, then you need to be screeched at. By the time I hit 6th grade, there were only two girls left in the school band of about 23 kids, and we both dropped out in the second week of band practice due to him. Never had the taste to go back to it after that. Matter of fact, I think the grade school dropped having a band by the end of that year as well. Wonder why....
Old 04-25-2023, 11:16 AM

I played flute in junior high and in high school I switched to oboe so I could sit by my bestie. LOL