Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome keeps beeping for no reason >

Janome keeps beeping for no reason

Janome keeps beeping for no reason

Old 04-17-2023, 12:19 PM

Default Janome keeps beeping for no reason

well that I can find. It started today and it's done it about 7 times with only sewing a few short 6" pieces together. I'm already not having a good day, so my emotions aren't helping haha. But to be totally honest I've disliked this machine since I bought it. I tried to see if the store I got it from would buy it back used when I had it for about 45 days (wish I just trusted my gut and returned it before the 30 days were up) and never heard back from them (not the first time they've ignored me, the second week I had it I asked a simple (non-problem) question and they would not get back to me, really not happy with them! They responded to every email within mins (during business hours) before I bought it then after it's just been nothing!) The problems I'm having are the fabric pulling to the left (thanks to people here I figured out it's because of the 9mm foot when I'm used to 7mm). The space, while nice and big which makes getting quilts through easier, is actually causing back pain if I use it longer than a few mins at a time (and with severe back problems it's making things worse) I've tried moving things around, the chair, other positions etc, nothing helps sadly. There is more but I won't get into all of it here since I need this new problem solved.

Today's problem I have no clue what is going on. I'll sew using the pedal, stop to adjust a seam hit the pedal again and it beeps. No warning thing on the screen. The little start/stop button is green, nothing seems wrong. I sew again and it's fine. Then I start the next seam and before it even starts sewing it's beeping again?! Again no lights are red, no warning or error codes are coming up, it just beeps and doesn't sew. (I also ran out of bobbin thread and when I put the new one in it refused to take up the thread, I did all the stuff below and it threaded the next time I tried just fine, but then immediately beeped when I hit the pedal again). It does sew after a few secs after the beep, but this is getting REAL annoying. Like I said I've sewn about 13 6" seams and it's done this 7 times.

I've tried:
-turning it off and on again a few times
-thoroughly cleaning it even tough it didn't need it
-re-threaded it
-wound new bobbins
-changed the needle (again even though it didn't need it)

I'm using 80 needles and aurifil 50wt thread, sewing on normal quilting cotton (moda and robert kaufman) the machine is the 6650.

Anyone have any idea what on earth is going on and how to fix it? I'm worried about sending it in (partly due to the shipping costs) because I worry it won't do it while they have it and instead of being a free warranty repair it'll be an expensive "there's nothing wrong with this you now owe us $300" waste on top of the shipping costs. I won't take it to the last repair guy with my old machine since he wouldn't listen to me when I asked him to just replace the bobbin case (which again thanks to the wonderful people here we figured it out and I fixed it myself) and he charged me for two repairs and blamed me for it. There is another place but I don't travel well and it's over an hour from here. I'll do it if I have to, but I don't want to have to get there and have it be something I might be able to do on my own.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:48 PM

You should have a troubleshooting section in the back of your manual, have you checked to see what it says?

I've had that issue with a couple of my machines, but I don't have a 6650, so I hesitate to tell you what my manuals say because it could be different.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:20 PM

was this a new or used machine??? I would contact seller again and be real firm that you want a reply or you will take it to a person higher up the chain. Let them know you are not happy with the product at this time and definitely not happy with the service.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:26 PM

I did a internet search they say uplug it then plug it back in see if it works.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:30 PM

I suggest you either call the dealer, find a new dealer if you’re not happy with them, research your specific problem online, or join a Janome FB group for your machine. There are several Janome groups that may be able to help you find a solution.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I did a internet search they say uplug it then plug it back in see if it works.
This is certainly worth trying if you haven't done so already. I would wait 5 minutes before I plugged it back in. It works for an error code on our washer.

BTW, if the dealer you bought it from is not responding, try contacting the US head office number/email from the website. When I had trouble with a machine that the dealer said didn't have anything wrong with it, I went to the head office, got an immediate response. Maybe you could video/tape the machine to capture what it does? Then email that to the head office.
I have found the head office(s) to be very responsive to legitimate customer complaints, they want a happy customer who will rave about their purchase, not an unhappy one who will rant about it...
Old 04-18-2023, 03:43 AM

My machine beeped at me yesterday, which it usually doesn't do. When I stopped sewing to reposition fabric I didn't take my foot completely off the foot control. I guess there was weight on the control but not enough to make it go.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:34 AM

The machine should be under warranty if bought new. I know I bought a Janome years ago and never liked it either. Couldn't get it to give me a good stitch and I have no clue what else I didn't like about it but I gave it away years later after keeping it in a closet for a number of years.

Most times Janome machines are great, my neighbor has them and that's the only machine she'll buy. As to the dealer not returning your emails, that's just plain lousy customer service. They must have known the machine was a dud and just wanted to get rid of it. I'd take it back to their store, plop it on their counter in front of everyone in the store and tell them,.....NOW ANSWER MY QUESTIONS since you won't answer my emails. They surely don't want others to know how they treated you. Sometimes you just have to get tough.

Hope you figure out the problem or maybe get a trade in machine. Might contact the company and see if they'll step in too.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Beeping of a machine is annoying. One retreater had a Brother that kept beeping every time she sewed. it was like sitting next to someone who chews gum all day. There are Facebook groups of Janome owners, I would go there. Someone will have an answer.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:04 AM

What state are you in?
I know an excellent Janome dealer who could help.
I live in Texas, but purchase all of my machines from a dealer in Alabama.
I have Janome 15000, 8900, 6600, S7, HD9v2. Love them all. Never had any issues with any of them. I had numerous times of operator error and the dealer answered my questions over the phone immediately.