How old is your ironing board? >

How old is your ironing board?

How old is your ironing board?

Old 04-19-2023, 04:28 AM

do you mean the one in the first photos? The La Passacaglia, my version
Old 04-19-2023, 09:11 AM

In post #1
Old 04-19-2023, 09:41 AM

Such a beautiful ironing board. You MUST preserve it!
I have no idea how old mine is but it's as ugly as anything. The best thing about it is the big board my DH fitted over most of the top so I have a square ironing space. I covered it with tin foil, batting and heavy fabric so it works fine.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:45 AM

I have Mom’s ironing board and both Grandmothers so they total 3 in addition to the one I got 58 years ago for a bridal shower gift. Bought with Green Stamps. I still use it - but not for quilting - because I have a pressing station made by DH from a free baby changing table.

I’ve removed legs from 2 of the above and I painted an American flag (vertical) on one. It hangs by our front door all summer.
The 2nd one has a gnome painted on it but I paid someone to do it.
The 3rd one has its legs and it’s narrow and a bit lower. Just right to press a shirt. I also set it at a right angle to my machine to support quilts when I stitch in the ditch, etc.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by annievee View Post
Funny--I tried to take an extra ironing board to resale---check in girl said No, people do not know what they are ???? My ironing board stays up all the time.
I've heard some people say their grandchildren don't know what a iron is for. Makes me shake my head.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:08 PM

Oh I'm so jealous of everyone's old boards! Mine I bought during a half off sale at Joanns about 10 years ago. I loved it at first but in the last few months it's been giving me problems. I turned it over last month and saw it's missing 2-3 screws. It's only ever in three spots and I've never seen (nor has my husband) any odd screws on the dining floor. So I plan on taking one out and going to the hardware store to see what I can find to replace them. The top is slowly breaking on one end too. I've done research to find another good one, and wow have ironing boards gotten bad! The reviews on all of them are horrible! I'm tempted to have my husband make me one (like what bearisgrey said I would like it soon! haha) problem with making it out of wood would be the weight. I don't sew in my art room it's more for storage since it's a smaller bedroom and between my fabric stuff, painting stuff, photo stuff and drawing stuff there is NO room. so my sewing room is the dining room, I move the ironing board from there to the living room and I don't think I'd be able to move something handmade and heavy like that. I'm so tempted to just use the island (our kitchen and dining room is one big room) that my husband made since it's nice and sturdy, but we also prepare food on it, I don't want to have to worry about grease/sauces/etc. I would have him make a moveable top for it but ironing around the counters and the floor, which is never as clean as the living floor is, just wouldn't work.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:32 AM

So good to hear of ways to repair and continue to use "old stuff". After all we too get older and I would rather repair old parts than throw me out and get a new one.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:39 AM

Wow, I’m amazed at how old some of the ironing boards are. I iron on a big board my husband cut. Don’t know how long ago. It’s maybe 30” x 6’ ? Seems like I have batting and have covered it several times. Currently have that grey ironing board fabric on it. It’s good for ironing whole quilt tops and backs.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:59 AM

Green stamps!! Still have my monopoly game and card table I got with those in the 70's. My first set of silverware came from the Esso (Exxon later name) gas stations. the knives were wonderful, serrated.

Another reason I won't be changing mine to a Big Board, I still use it for ironing shirts A silent I Love You gift to my husband, he likes his shirts pressed. I even do the sleeves and collars on his grubby work shirts!

We are going today to get the dowels and top wood. And sign our new will, so sad to have to change our old one but a niece has gone into the Q hole and actually scares me. Wants to burn the world, kill the bankers, anyway, not a subject for this board I guess.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by gardengirl1331 View Post
Oh I'm so jealous of everyone's old boards! Mine I bought during a half off sale at Joanns about 10 years ago. I loved it at first but in the last few months it's been giving me problems. I turned it over last month and saw it's missing 2-3 screws. It's only ever in three spots and I've never seen (nor has my husband) any odd screws on the dining floor. So I plan on taking one out and going to the hardware store to see what I can find to replace them. The top is slowly breaking on one end too. I've done research to find another good one, and wow have ironing boards gotten bad! The reviews on all of them are horrible! I'm tempted to have my husband make me one (like what bearisgrey said I would like it soon! haha) problem with making it out of wood would be the weight. I don't sew in my art room it's more for storage since it's a smaller bedroom and between my fabric stuff, painting stuff, photo stuff and drawing stuff there is NO room. so my sewing room is the dining room, I move the ironing board from there to the living room and I don't think I'd be able to move something handmade and heavy like that. I'm so tempted to just use the island (our kitchen and dining room is one big room) that my husband made since it's nice and sturdy, but we also prepare food on it, I don't want to have to worry about grease/sauces/etc. I would have him make a moveable top for it but ironing around the counters and the floor, which is never as clean as the living floor is, just wouldn't work.
Would you be able to attach a hinged ironing board to the wall in your art room? Kind of like a murphy bed. That way would not use any floor space most of the time.