Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
storing quilts long-term >

storing quilts long-term

storing quilts long-term

Old 04-23-2023, 12:56 PM

Default storing quilts long-term

I've decided I want to make baby quilts for three kids who are my "bonus" grandchildren. I made a baby quilt when each was born and over the years, have made additional quilts as they've grown and asked for new quilts. Oldest is in his teens so we're years away from marriage and children (I hope!).

How would I go about storing them?
Old 04-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I store my extra quilts on a large carpet cardboard tube. The carpet and flooring store near me gives them away free. I first covered it with a white sheet and then rolled my quilts onto it. I wrapped the outside in a sheet and used elastics at each end like a giant tootsie roll. The tube stands on its end in the spare room closet. You could do much the same with a large pool noodle. It would just need to lay down as it wouldn’t’t be as rigid for standing.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:50 AM

Agreed! Roll the quilt for storage. If you fold it the fold lines will be hard to get out, and if the folded edges are exposed to light (especially sunlight) they will fade and leave stripes when the quilt is unfolded.

This also goes for your stash: don't leave your fabrics exposed to light, especially sunlight on a daily basis or they also will fade along the exposed edges. I love leaving my stash on open shelves so I can enjoy the riot of colour but after big fading issues in a sunlit work room, I have moved it to a room with no windows!!