Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit-down longarm on Grace frame? >

Sit-down longarm on Grace frame?

Sit-down longarm on Grace frame?

Old 04-25-2023, 02:52 AM

Question Sit-down longarm on Grace frame?

I've been perusing listings for used longarm machines over the past few months as I save up to get one of my own. I saw something interesting that might save me a few bucks, but I'm not sure it actually works.

I've seen a couple of listings for a sit-down longarm (like the sit-down HQ sixteen) on the Grace frame that accommodates domestic machines. Have you ever heard of anyone doing that and being successful? I know there's some sort of stitch regulation on the sit down machines, but I've got no idea how it works since they've never really been a consideration for me. The people who listed them haven't responded to my messages, so I don't know if they've had success.

Since the used sit down machines tend to be less expensive than the frame-based models, there's a savings opportunity for me if I buy one of those and a use Grace frame to put it on.
Old 04-25-2023, 03:38 AM

The Grace frames only give you about 8" of quilting space. Smaller as you roll the finished quilt on the back pole.

The stitch regulator from Grace is a box with a cord that plugs into you foot control outlet on the machine.

The foot control is converted into a wood handle that you hold down while you drive the machine.

This is not an ideal set-up.

Have you considered a Handi Quilter Moxie instead?

Good Luck in your decision.
Old 04-25-2023, 03:55 AM

Grace claims that you can put their 19 inch machine on the cutie frame and it can definitely be on a q-zone hoop or queen frame, so it does expand that far at least. I've seen the larger grace machine on the hoop frames in person at quilt shows, so it's possible. I'm more curious if there would be a stability issue when the machine goes on the cart and if the stitch regulation built into the sit down machine would translate to being put on the frame.

I have indeed considered Moxie, Simply Sixteen, and the Grace Q'Nique machines, and if I opt for a new machine it will be one of those three. But budget is a concern, so if I can get something similar for a thousand dollars less, then that's what I'll go for. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-25-2023, 11:51 AM

I have a BabyLock Tiara sitdown (Really it's HQ Sixteen just re-branded) on a Grace QZone Queen frame and I LOVE it.

You have to buy the extra carriage and the extended handles to put a midarm on it, but it works wonderfully as a long arm set up on a budget, especially if you already have the midarm.
One thing to remember is that these machines run off of a foot pedal, so if you do move to this set up, message me and I will send you a PDF of how my (ex)husband made me a hand speed-control out of the pedal.
I have had no problems at all with this setup...I usually attach the leaders to the backing top and bottom and then float the rest, using the clamps they supply. It is a good idea to purchase the bigger clamps if you will be doing full sized quilts.
If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Watson
Old 04-25-2023, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The Grace frames only give you about 8" of quilting space. Smaller as you roll the finished quilt on the back pole.

The stitch regulator from Grace is a box with a cord that plugs into you foot control outlet on the machine.

The foot control is converted into a wood handle that you hold down while you drive the machine.

This is not an ideal set-up.

Have you considered a Handi Quilter Moxie instead?

Good Luck in your decision.
Grace company makes larger quilt frames as well.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:38 PM

I have a Juki J-350 Miyabi. It has an 18" throat and the stitch regulator is in the needle plate on either side of the needle. Although I use my machine as a sit down, it can be on a frame and because the stitch regulator is next to the needle, it should regulate the stitches just as well as it does when used as a sit down without the machine requiring any modifications.