Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you teaching your talents to someone else? >

Are you teaching your talents to someone else?

Are you teaching your talents to someone else?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:32 PM

We have a weekly quilting group at my mom's house. We have 4 generations quilting, my mom, my daughter and daughter in law and my 10 year old niece. I am the teacher in the group.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 PM

I teach young women from my church 2 months in the summer, I use this as a teaching class and at the same time we make things for our church Craft Sale, like placemats, pot holders, baby blankets, crazy quilt pillows, string quilts, etc. I also teach whoever wants to learn -the basics of sewing, quilting, knowing your sewing machine, cleaning and maintaining it. It's lots of fun and it helps me get rid of some of my fabric that has accumalated.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Lee
I teach young women from my church 2 months in the summer, I use this as a teaching class and at the same time we make things for our church Craft Sale, like placemats, pot holders, baby blankets, crazy quilt pillows, string quilts, etc. I also teach whoever wants to learn -the basics of sewing, quilting, knowing your sewing machine, cleaning and maintaining it. It's lots of fun and it helps me get rid of some of my fabric that has accumalated.
I like this idea - I was wondering when would be a good time for the girls at our church - the summer may be perfect - maybe they can spend one entire day with me???
Old 03-09-2010, 07:07 PM

I have two granddaughters. They both quilt. The 10 year old enjoys sewing more than the 13 year old, but I have finally discovered what really gets her creative juices flowing...crazy quilts or designing new quilts. She (the 13 yo) is also fantastic with color. I am eager to see how her talent developes. They both have free access to my scrap bag and come up with really cute projects. I bought each of them a Kenmore for Christmas several years ago and the machines are really getting a workout.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 PM

I enjoy sharing what I am learning with others. My oldest daughter made a knotted quilt when she was in college but doesn't have time or desire to do it now. Perhaps when her boys are grown. My youngest daughter made her first quilt last spring and is now working on her second. I am so proud of her and what she has accomplished. I have taught a log cabin class at my church and another class at our local quilt shop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-3697.jpe
Views:	89
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	3697  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

I am learning to quilt. Penny.D
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Got my two sisters started and now they can't be stopped. They share a gammill quilter and love to spend time together. I am far enough from them that I miss half the fun!! But they in turn are teaching others. Joy!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 AM

I have had this idea for a couple of years and have tried holding a "sewing bee" once a month in my home, hoping that someone besides my sister and daughter might be interested. Any ideas on how we might stir up the interests in the "fast fading" arts of our grandmothers? :?:
Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 AM

Keep inviting people over and perhaps if you all work on the same project, you can help each other out as to fabric choice, pattern, colors, etc. If it's a group project maybe they might participate . Send out a pattern to a few, ask if they would be interested, set a date for shopping together to get the supplies needed, this would break the ice and all could start at the same time
Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM

Quilting grannie (mommie)

I am so glad you adopted me. Thanks to all of you who are willing to share your knowledge with us newbies.