Broke my Singer Spartan

Old 05-21-2023, 01:37 PM

Default Broke my Singer Spartan

I got this thing about a year and a half ago. Haven't used it a lot but took it to the shop to have it gone over and oiled. I have been working on some stuff for my daughter when the machine locked up. I reversed the hand wheel and it ran for a while and locked up again. Anyway nowI notice when I turn the wheel there is a rough spot while turning. It's like a bad bearing. Anyway I would like to find a good shop that works on these older machines. To me it sounds like it needs the "drive shaft" or whatever that part is called to be replaced and I know enough to know I can't do that. I live in easten Pennsylvania. Anyone know of a good place to take it? I would rather not have to pay to ship the thing.
thanks for the help
Gary
Old 05-21-2023, 04:10 PM

How far east? If as far as you can go, yet central/north, I would suggest Singer Sewing Center, in Easton PA.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
How far east? If as far as you can go, yet central/north, I would suggest Singer Sewing Center, in Easton PA.
I am maybe 30 miles from them. Do they do vintage machines?
Old 05-21-2023, 04:16 PM

Doubt it is what you mentioned. You can't break it easily! Have you check for thread wads, lose screws to the feed dogs,...
Look underneath, oil all connection points, oil all oil points from top...just a few thoughts.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
Doubt it is what you mentioned. You can't break it easily! Have you check for thread wads, lose screws to the feed dogs,...
Look underneath, oil all connection points, oil all oil points from top...just a few thoughts.
Thanks
Yeah it seems as though a gear broke and jams once in a while. When I rotate the hand wheel there is a definite rough spot. I did re oil the thing but nothin doin. I don't thing I have 2hrs on it since the cleaning and oiling. I don't think the shop did anything it just happened.

Oh how does a girl from Walland TN know of a singer place in Easton. LOL

Last edited by Thumbs; 05-21-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:20 PM

Please check the bobbin to make sure it is inserted correctly. It could be as simple as the bobbin thread is unfurling in the wrong direction.. The class 66/99 machines are particular about that.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
Please check the bobbin to make sure it is inserted correctly. It could be as simple as the bobbin thread is unfurling in the wrong direction.. The class 66/99 machines are particular about that.
Thank you. No I didn't check that. I will tomorrow. I really can't tell where the problem is for sure. I only when the "fly wheel? turns there seems to be a rough spot. I'll tell ya one thing when whatever it is that happens it stops the machine cold. If I fiddle with the wheel a bit it will loosen up but lock up reasonable quickly. It had been working fine. I don't think I was working it very hard. A think quilting material with a thin water proof backing and three layers of a stretchy felt kind of material. It seemed to not struggle at all while sewing. Idono but I'll take a look in the morning.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:46 PM

I don't know your machine, but I have the Featherweight and it will freeze up with a very tiny piece of thread caught behind the bobbin case. And that wee little piece gets there when you turn the fly wheel backwards. (Which is something I do out of a bad habit trying to get the needle to raise up.) So then I have to take it apart, clean it out and start over. It can be very frustrating. But they tell you not to turn it the wrong direction. There may be a video to show you how to clean it out. There are a few vintage machine restorers on this website. Hopefully one will see your post.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:01 PM

Thanks again. It feels like metal against metal but it very well could be something like your talking about. I know things can happen but it gave me no warning that could be something wrong. It just jammed. It feels like the needle hits something hard and stopped. As I recall just before I stopped and put it away the needle did break down just up from the eye. I hope that is what it is. I really like the ole girl.

Oh I am very new to sewing so my experience is very limited as to trouble shooting.

Last edited by Thumbs; 05-21-2023 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:09 PM

Did you find the part of the needle that broke off? It could be somewhere it shouldn't be and causing problems. You might want to take the throat plate off and check to see if everything is clean and lint free. My old Singers are reliable as anything but as QuiltingCandy says they don't like even the tiniest piece of thread in the bobbin area. It can cause real problems.