Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinning out the stash by making small household items >

Thinning out the stash by making small household items

Thinning out the stash by making small household items

Old 05-30-2023, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I've been making pillowcases lately. So easy and I'm using Art Gallery fabric because it's so soft.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

I love this! Hexagon wall organizer

https://www.vintagesewingbox.co.uk/h...organiser.html

So cute. I'm making several of these for gifts for my quilting buddies who love hexies.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I have been making accessory pouches for my hand tools and beauty aids. I was thinking of making small storage boxes for some other items to round a set all up and keep them together and padded to protect them. I was thinking that a clear plastic or mesh front would be a good thing to add.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I love this! Hexagon wall organizer

https://www.vintagesewingbox.co.uk/h...organiser.html

So cute. I'm making several of these for gifts for my quilting buddies who love hexies.
Thank you! I was just looking for an easy hexie project that doesn't require tons of teeny hexies.

I recently did an online dive into small things to make for our guild to sell at our quilt show this year, and found that there are literally tons of free videos and patterns online for things like scrappie purses, totes, folded phone & eyeglass cases, zip/snap pouches, bags, bowls, bins, buckets, baskets, thread catchers, tissue box covers and tissue travel pack covers, pin cushions, aprons, stuffed dolls and critters,

This was my most favorite project from youtube-crafting with giulia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuAsPBaMZ4
a free pattern is included with the youtube video

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 05-30-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:06 PM

Some people in our area buy custom "window quilts" to keep out the winter cold. I thought I'd do some research on them for my new (and stiff) digital fabric. Not sure what batting to use for them, though.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 05-30-2023, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by LI_diva View Post
I’ve made This apron.

Its all straight cutting and sewing, and if you don’t have enough to make it out of one fabric, I’m sure it would be lovely colour blocked.
I really like that apron! No ties to have to fiddle with & it looks so easy to make & put on.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Well I have never seen or heard of these, but apparently you can make handles for your fridge doors to keep them clean 🤪 https://lifesewsavory.com/how-to-sew...handle-covers/
I think someone on this board made some of these before & I really liked the idea. However, I've yet to make any for myself (but I really do like them).
Old 05-30-2023, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I finally made a machine cover to keep the dust off my machine when not in use. I have a little pair of mitts for getting hot dishes out of the microwave.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
I think someone on this board made some of these before & I really liked the idea. However, I've yet to make any for myself (but I really do like them).
Haha..they look cool….but our fridge has NO handles….and yes it has lots of goopy smudges! We have a 2 yr old GD
Old 05-31-2023, 01:10 AM

I have made these and they are useful for people with arthritic hands and small children. Also an excellent way to use up those old CD's that some of us have laying around. And as an added bonus, maybe some of the buttons we are collecting...
There are other videos on you tube with more detailed instructions. These also make a great gift for a young child along with some playing cards for Old Maid, Go fish, and others. Actually found a set of 6 childrens card games on Amazon for about $6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRCciU9D1jY