Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beeswax? >

Beeswax?

Beeswax?

Old 06-10-2023, 02:20 PM

Default Beeswax?

What brand of beeswax do you use for your hand quilting thread? I’ve used Dritz for years and maybe that’s all there is but it seems to dry out relatively fast.
Old 06-11-2023, 01:54 AM

I just bought some Dritz beeswax - it was the only kind Joann Fabrics had. I don't find it all that great. Seems dry to me, but still better than "thread conditioner" or similar non-beeswax items.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:40 AM

As I'm not a user of beeswax for sewing (or anything else) I was curious and googled it. From what I read, Dritz is about the only main manufacturer out there, but Missouri Star does carry a diffferent one. Is it possible to use a beesewax candle? Or can you locate a beekeeper and get some from them? I found this interesting, but must admit that I'm clueless.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:05 AM

Dadant and Sons at Hamilton IL handles all things for beekeeping. On their website they also sell pure beeswax. Looking at the website, there are several locations around the United States.This may be more than a quilter wants but perhaps find someone in your area who buys this in bulk to make candles for their business or a hobby.
Recently I was having a bit of difficulty with some fabric that I was trying to hand quilt. A friend suggested running the needle through beeswax. I have heard of doing this with thread but not the needle. It works wonders!

Last edited by illinois; 06-11-2023 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:13 AM

I was never happy with the Dritz beeswax either. I'm a confirmed 'Thread Heaven' user. That stuff is the bees knees for thread conditioning when hand quilting! Sadly, I'm not sure it's made any longer. I have two containers currently. I'm just hopeful they will last me through my hand quilting days!
Old 06-11-2023, 04:48 AM

I was just on Amazon and they have all kinds of beeswax and thread conditioners, why it didn't show up when I googled is beyond me. Maybe you can find one there you like.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:52 AM

If you look on Etsy, you'll find lots of varieties. Unscented, scented, super filtered (so not yellow) or not, in a tin or just shaped (in any shape from circle to square to hearts, etc.). Look for sewing beeswax to filter out the items meant for crafting.
Old 06-12-2023, 01:50 AM

Can't help with commercial beeswax. I have a friend who is a bee keeper & gives me all I need.
Hope you find something you like.
sewverybusy
Old 06-12-2023, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Dadant and Sons at Hamilton IL handles all things for beekeeping. On their website they also sell pure beeswax. Looking at the website, there are several locations around the United States.This may be more than a quilter wants but perhaps find someone in your area who buys this in bulk to make candles for their business or a hobby.
Recently I was having a bit of difficulty with some fabric that I was trying to hand quilt. A friend suggested running the needle through beeswax. I have heard of doing this with thread but not the needle. It works wonders!
Yes, it does work with needles. I use thread heaven and when my needles get sticky while doing EPP, I stick them in it and they are clean and smooth again. Glide right thru the fabric.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:35 PM

I've used this: Thread Magic