Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-10-2010, 04:57 AM

I got one of those in my family too, well, married into the family. Made a quilt for her wedding to my nephew, even stitched little joined hearts in the corner blocks (which took forever) and didn't even get a thank you. Some People!!
Everybody got a new quilt for Christmas this year but her, she got a bath basket. Think she got the hint? I know my mom did, she laughed and laughed!
The ones that understand and love the work we do take up the slack for people like my niece (in law).
Donnie
Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 AM

I give my kids quilts every few years--when I get too many to keep. I usually figure out a way to let them pick which one they want. So far they are appreciative. I am thankful. I have learned that one of the girls really like the wall hangings best, another likes fleece backed utility quilts they cover up with while watching TV--I do try to "match" but I guess I am lucky--they all seem to think they are special. Since I love to make them, I am glad they are welcome gifts.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Try not to judge these poor souls too harshly. I know that for US it is like ripping our quilted hearts out when someone doesn't recognize and appreciate our efforts, but put it in perspective. They simply don't get it. It's not that they are clueless, stupid, heartless or malicious though it certainly feels that way. Think of it like this...say your MIL/SIL/DD/BIL or whomever is really really really into sports cars. They talk non-stop about it...and one day they get you a figurine from the bradford exchange of the #3 Dale Ernhardt race car. Boy, for them, this gift means they think the world of you. But geez...where are you going to put something that you have NO interest in. Be honest...how many would put it high on a shelf and never touch it again.
Bottom line is, they don't understand. They don't love YOU any less because of it. Just know in the future that they would probably appreciate a different gift. :) :) ;)
Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
Try not to judge these poor souls too harshly. I know that for US it is like ripping our quilted hearts out when someone doesn't recognize and appreciate our efforts, but put it in perspective. They simply don't get it. It's not that they are clueless, stupid, heartless or malicious though it certainly feels that way. Think of it like this...say your MIL/SIL/DD/BIL or whomever is really really really into sports cars. They talk non-stop about it...and one day they get you a figurine from the bradford exchange of the #3 Dale Ernhardt race car. Boy, for them, this gift means they think the world of you. But geez...where are you going to put something that you have NO interest in. Be honest...how many would put it high on a shelf and never touch it again.
Bottom line is, they don't understand. They don't love YOU any less because of it. Just know in the future that they would probably appreciate a different gift. :) :) ;)
I know, I understand perfectly what you're saying. That's exactly why when she said that, I said nothing. What's important to me isn't always important to other people.

I guess the main thing that got me was that it was clear her opinion on what I was doing was that it was "cheap". And I know she didn't mean to hurt my feelings...she's really not like that. Maybe that's why it hurt me so. If it had come from someone I didn't like I would've shrugged it off and not cared.

But all your stories make me glad of one thing- this board!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 AM

People who don't make quilts, who don't sew, who don't
knit, who don't do hand embroidery, et cetera, have absolutely no clue as far as the cost and the amount of labor that goes
into making something. No clue at all.

I made an autograph quilt for my 50th high school reunion,
and a friend of mine looked at it and decided she liked the
back better. She had no idea what she was looking at. Not
to mention that by the time I finished it it cost me $150.
Everyone who was at the reunion signed it, of course, and the
person who won it took it home and could not believe the work
that was done on it.

The best suggestion I can give you is take it from whenst it
comes, and whenst isn't a heck of a lot.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 AM

I think every quilter has had this experience. I try to talk to my daughter about quilts and her eyes glaze over.But sometimes she has good ideas from a non quilting perspective.
The one time that really got me was one Christmas back in the 80's I made a hand pieced, hand quilted quilt for my then MIL It was state blocks from all the places she had lived in her life. She opened the package, picked it up with 2 fingers said "Oh Thats nice" and dropped it on the floor. Where it remained until I picked it up. After that she got store bought stuff. Bet that one is long gone to the thrift store. Then it bothered me now not so much. People just don't get it. But that's ok because we do. :-)
Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 AM

All that I can say is what we do is PRICELESS!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 AM

Glad to hear she's your ex mother-in-law. How offensive is
that!!! Right in front of you. No class at all.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 AM

I'm sorry - I understand the hurt. Those are the people I don't make gifts for - they just don't get it - the time, effort & cost and the caring that goes into making a gift for someone special. Their loss.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 AM

Clueless is the word. She doesn't have any idea how much fabric cost. She is also one of the people who probably gets bored because she has nothing she enjoys doing. Ignore her and enjoy the happyness you will bring to you mother.