Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Great buy on new Bernina machine. >

Great buy on new Bernina machine.

Great buy on new Bernina machine.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:48 AM

Scuttle in the Bernina community is that the new one is a higher end model with a laser light guide. It doesn't really interest me.

I really, really wish they'd stop with making their machines "extra". Go back to some of the basics. I'd buy a new model of my 153QE in a heartbeat, and have heard others say the same. I rarely use any decorative stitches, would be happy with a handful rather than 100's. Do not care at all for embroidery. I'm sort of on the fence about the thread cutter; it seems like a lot of people have problems with them. I'd like a hover foot and BSR, but the machines that have those features have many bells and whistles that I don't want.

Oh well, I'll just keep using this one until I can't!
Old 06-21-2023, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Scuttle in the Bernina community is that the new one is a higher end model with a laser light guide. It doesn't really interest me.

I really, really wish they'd stop with making their machines "extra". Go back to some of the basics. I'd buy a new model of my 153QE in a heartbeat, and have heard others say the same. I rarely use any decorative stitches, would be happy with a handful rather than 100's. Do not care at all for embroidery. I'm sort of on the fence about the thread cutter; it seems like a lot of people have problems with them. I'd like a hover foot and BSR, but the machines that have those features have many bells and whistles that I don't want.

Oh well, I'll just keep using this one until I can't!
I think the shops love embroidery features because it seems like it requires so much extra. Not just buying more fabric but buying more designs and threads. While I think you can create your own embroidery designs (at least on some machines), I don’t think many people do. Sometimes I get weak and think, why not get an embroidery capable machine just in case. But most of the time the saner side of me - the side that is already looking at downsizing my existing stuff — is able to resist.

I have never had a thread cutter, so it’s not on my list of must haves. I do like the “kick back” on the pedal that raises and lowers the needle (which I don’t think the 435 has) and the Free Hand System (which is optional on the 435).
Old 06-21-2023, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Any new machine I buy now will have to have the auto thread cutter. It saves a lot of thread. If I could add the auto thread cutter to my Bernina 1260 it would be my dream machine. SuzSlo you are right about the embroidery being the profit maker for shops. My friends have the high end embroidery machines and they spend a lot on updates and play books.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Any new machine I buy now will have to have the auto thread cutter. It saves a lot of thread. If I could add the auto thread cutter to my Bernina 1260 it would be my dream machine. SuzSlo you are right about the embroidery being the profit maker for shops. My friends have the high end embroidery machines and they spend a lot on updates and play books.
Interesting that the auto thread cutter saves you thread. I guess that makes sense. But I use a leader/ender and rarely cut my thread (mostly when I need to re-sew a partial seam due to a mistake or change the bobbin). But everyone has different ways of getting to the same result.

As I said, I’ve never had this, so don’t miss it. Of course, when I bought my first TV, I couldn’t understand why someone would pay $30 extra for the optional remote control and I used to be perfectly happy cranking down my car windows!
Old 06-22-2023, 04:16 AM

"happy cranking down my car windows!" So funny! Reminds me of the time young DD climbed into an older car and exclaimed, "They have the new kind of windows that roll down without the motor being on!"

Old 06-29-2023, 12:54 PM

At the other end of the (price and features) spectrum is the new Bernina 790 Pro just introduced. It has a laser to show exactly where the needle will land. I never machine appliqué because I feel like I don’t do a good job with positioning the needle. For now I’m going to save the money and keep doing appliqué by hand, but that machine seems to be a beauty.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:55 PM

Oooh, great deal