Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews? >

Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews?

Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:28 AM

Why is that?
Originally Posted by mama4dylan
iF YOU ARE DOING FMQ I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE SEARS MACHINE.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 AM

Most machines, maybe all, will stop at the needle up position every time. Some have a button (and this one has it) that when you hold it down for a couple of seconds, the needle will stop in the down position every time you stop. This a a great feature when quilting. My old Bernina always stops with the needle up and if I want it down I have to do it manually. I still love my oldie anyway.[/quote]

On my machine I have to push the needle down button every time I stop sewing. Does anyone else have to do this?[/quote]

From what I can tell already, if you start sewing with the needle down, it will always end with the needle down, but if you are doing applique where you are starting in the middle of the fabric, you can't start with the needle down all the time. But last night when I was regular piecing, I was able to do it, but obviously I don't care about having the needle down when I am piecing! :) :) So I am going to guess that you machine does do it, but it's not of a great help since you can't start with your needle down when you are doing the kind of work you need needle down for!

Cheers!
Rachel[/quote]

No luck. I tried all of the above. I originally mentioned this because I wasn't aware that there is more than one kind of needle down function.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by ctquilter
Most machines, maybe all, will stop at the needle up position every time. Some have a button (and this one has it) that when you hold it down for a couple of seconds, the needle will stop in the down position every time you stop. This a a great feature when quilting. My old Bernina always stops with the needle up and if I want it down I have to do it manually. I still love my oldie anyway.
On my machine I have to push the needle down button every time I stop sewing. Does anyone else have to do this?
From what I can tell already, if you start sewing with the needle down, it will always end with the needle down, but if you are doing applique where you are starting in the middle of the fabric, you can't start with the needle down all the time. But last night when I was regular piecing, I was able to do it, but obviously I don't care about having the needle down when I am piecing! :) :) So I am going to guess that you machine does do it, but it's not of a great help since you can't start with your needle down when you are doing the kind of work you need needle down for!

Cheers!
Rachel

No luck. I tried all of the above. I originally mentioned this because I wasn't aware that there is more than one kind of needle down function.
Bummer!! That's what mine does .... maybe that's a newer feature?

Rachel
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 AM

I have to use the needle down button also but my computer machine is a few years old....what brand do you have that when you hold the button down it will end with needle down??? I'll have to check my manual. I have a small brother that I take to classes and it has needle down, thread cutter and every stitch ever invented and I love it. When I go back to the Kenmore I'm always looking for the thread cutter LOL
Old 03-10-2010, 06:41 AM

I purchased the top of the line Kenmore machine about 35 years ago. It had the cams for embroidery or monograms. I really used it. It was very dependable and is still going I gave it to my DIL and she is still using it. I have a Bernina my second one. There is no comparison,however, there is no comparison in the price either. I think the Kenmore is a workhorse or at least it was 35 years ago.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 AM

On needle down. I have a Bernina and it always stops needle up unless I hold the needle down button for a few seconds the the little picture of the needle down shows up on the screen and the needle will automatically stop in the down position until I change it or when I turn off the machine. If I want it to stop up for one time I touch the button and it will stop up that time and back to needle down. I hope this makes sense.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I have to use the needle down button also but my computer machine is a few years old....what brand do you have that when you hold the button down it will end with needle down??? I'll have to check my manual. I have a small brother that I take to classes and it has needle down, thread cutter and every stitch ever invented and I love it. When I go back to the Kenmore I'm always looking for the thread cutter LOL
My new Kenmore does this. If I press the needle up/down button prior to starting sewing, the needle will go down and then when I sew and stop it’ll end down. But if I start with the needle up, it’ll end up and I’ll have to press it to get it down at that point.

Rachel
Old 03-10-2010, 06:55 PM

I think all machines stop in the needle up position unless you push the button and then they stop in the needle down position.

If this is not true, someone tell us different.

Barb[/quote]

I have a Janome 9000. On the computer screen is an icon of a needle. I can elect to always have the needle down when I stop sewing or have the needle up when I stop sewing. On the front of the machine is a button that allows me to put the needle up or down - one time, HOWEVER, once I press this button and then continue sewing, the needle reverts to what I chose on the computer screen. My Janome 3500 only has a button on the front of the machine, so I must re-press the button to keep it as a needle down when sewing.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Hello Barb

I'm your neighbor in Willow Springs.

God Bless!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:40 AM

I have the 385.19233 which I bought about 1 1/2 years ago and I love it.

I had a small problem with it and took it back to their sewing machine repair and was pleased with the service.

My problem was that they told me that I should only be using the Sears bobbins for that machine, bought them and since then, all is going well.

I have been using Kenmores for many years no. My Mother (many, many years ago) had a White and I was told that they are now Kenmore...but who knows.

Good luck...MaryJane