Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Calling All Wine Lovers! >

Calling All Wine Lovers!

Calling All Wine Lovers!

Old 06-15-2023, 06:18 AM

I spent the afternoon with my dau yesterday and we started talking about wine. I told her about the Finger Lakes wine makers that you recommended, Peaceandjoy, and we decided that we're going to order some of their wines to try them out. However, we're going to wait until next spring, because it's too hot to ship them right now. She was excited to try them! My dau also mentioned that one of the hot, new wines in our area is Grüner Veltiner, a crisp, white wine that is from Austria. They're starting to plant it here and I'll bet that it would do well in your area too.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:51 AM

Oh, thanks, tropit! I just looked and both Weimer's and Dr. Frank's are growing them. I think we need to take a little drive this weekend. DH can enjoy some ice wines and I will look for these, as it sounds very appealing.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:20 AM

Ice wines! I've never tried them. I'm not too into dessert wines, but I think that it's interesting how they make ice wine.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:21 PM

I'm trying to learn about wines, because I like wine - not too dry, not too sweet, not a lot of tannins, but don't know much about it. Can anyone recommend a good white? I do not like chardonnay. I do like riesling. What brands/types do you like?
Old 06-26-2023, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fabricgator View Post
I'm trying to learn about wines, because I like wine - not too dry, not too sweet, not a lot of tannins, but don't know much about it. Can anyone recommend a good white? I do not like chardonnay. I do like riesling. What brands/types do you like?
I can't recommend a specific wine for you, but I can suggest a great wine class, "Wine 101" at Winefolly.com. I took it and learned a great deal. It will help you learn about how to taste and choose wine, as well as the different wine regions around the world, how to serve wine, etc. It's very light-hearted and easy. Also, if you sign up for their newsletter, they knock of a big chunk for the $99 fee. I can't remember exactly, but I think that it was $59 after the discount. I'd like to take the "Wine201" class, but I can't afford that right now. Maybe Santa will get it for me.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:12 PM

I take that back...try a Pinot Gris. It's very light and not much tanins.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:49 AM

tropit, we got to one of the local wineries last weekend and did a tasting. I was disappointed that their Grüner Veltiner is not included in their tastings, and mentioned it to the server. He checked the computer, and it turned out there was an open bottle on site, left from an event one of the family members had hosted. Evidently, when they have such events, whatever bottles are opened but not finished are kept and recorded, so the many varieties that aren't usually part of a tasting may be offered.

Just before we left, the skies opened up and we had a heavy rain. We were, of course, parked in the back 40 - summer weekends are always busy at the wineries and the closer lot was full. Totally unprepared, we got soaked to the skin getting to the car. The other winery I wanted to try this at will have to wait for another day, lol. We need rain, so I won't complain.

We did like Dr. Frank's Grüner Veltiner; it is indeed a light, crisp wine. I still prefer their Reisling, but this was a nice change.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
tropit, we got to one of the local wineries last weekend and did a tasting. I was disappointed that their Grüner Veltiner is not included in their tastings, and mentioned it to the server. He checked the computer, and it turned out there was an open bottle on site, left from an event one of the family members had hosted. Evidently, when they have such events, whatever bottles are opened but not finished are kept and recorded, so the many varieties that aren't usually part of a tasting may be offered.

Just before we left, the skies opened up and we had a heavy rain. We were, of course, parked in the back 40 - summer weekends are always busy at the wineries and the closer lot was full. Totally unprepared, we got soaked to the skin getting to the car. The other winery I wanted to try this at will have to wait for another day, lol. We need rain, so I won't complain.

We did like Dr. Frank's Grüner Veltiner; it is indeed a light, crisp wine. I still prefer their Reisling, but this was a nice change.
It sounds like you had fun.

My dau and our DHs tried the 2 white and 1 red wines that I bought from our local wine store. We were tasing and swishing and having fun. We tried a Claude Branger Muscadet (Melon) from the Loire Valley, a Muga Blanco from Spain and a 2014 Numanthia Toro Tempranillo, also from Spain.

The first 2 wines were very inexpensive ($16 and $19.) The older Tempranillo was pricier, but it was also 9 years old, not to mention amazing. All 3 wines were very different from one another. The Muscadet was cheerful and bright, very minerally and had lots of character. The Muga Blanco was soft and mellow, nice, but not our favorite. The Numanthia Toro was very complex because of its age. It also had a lot of tannins, which should mellow as a wine gets older, but these were still very bold. It was delicious, but would be a good wine to save and try again in a few more years.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:03 AM

Picked up a bottle of Mumm Napa Brut Presige Sparkling Wine the other day at the grocery store, on sale, $13.99. I wasn't expecting much at that low price, but actually, it was very nice! It had one unusual note that I couldn't place. I looked it up and read the reviews..."gingerbread." That was it! Anyway, I thought it was good. Dry, crisp...lovely!
Old 07-19-2023, 03:56 AM

Oh, that sounds pretty good! We don't have wine in our grocery stores, and i hate the thought of one more stop when I go into town.

Have been having some health challenges the last few weeks, so no wine here.