Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help Needed Identifying parlour cabinet and lift mechanism >

Help Needed Identifying parlour cabinet and lift mechanism

Help Needed Identifying parlour cabinet and lift mechanism

Old 06-27-2023, 10:55 AM

Default Help Needed Identifying parlour cabinet and lift mechanism

Hi All
I was lucky enough to find this lovely parlour cabinet. The only problem is all of the mechanisms inside are missing.
I would love to restore the chain lift mechanism but am having a dickens of a time finding any information or pictures with which I could go about sources parts. Can anyone tell me a) what company made this cabinet and b) does anyone have any pictures of a cabinet that has a similar chain lift mechanism?
not sure if this link works. I uploaded pictures on my profile as well.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/members/inchhirn-u252296-albums20573-624288.jpg
https://www.quiltingboard.com/members/inchhirn-u252296-albums20573-624287.html

thanks Donna

Last edited by inchhirn; 06-27-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:58 AM

I tried posting pictures but they don't show up. Can anyone help me with that as well lol
Old 06-27-2023, 11:19 AM

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...573-624287.jpg Here is a picture of the top.
Haven't figured out how to attach thumbnails yet.

Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2023, 01:29 PM

I've seen that sort of lift mechanism on a couple of old New Home machines from around the turn of the last century. They both used leather straps. The strap runs from the top, across to the wheel and on down to a metal arm that extends back from the wooden platform the machine sits in.

"Back" when the machine head is up and pointed at the floor when the machine head is down. The metal arm is mounted underneath the wooden platform and centered, side to side. The machine heads on mine are screwed to the wooden platform, otherwise they'd flip out and down when the top is closed.

EDIT: My first one arrived with the strap missing and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how it was supposed to stay up. It has a small, non-obvious roller at the back that I just wasn't seeing. I left it open in the workshop for weeks and glanced at it whenever I walked past. FINALLY, I spotted that little roller and it all made sense.

That's a gorgeous cabinet, by the way. Any indication what brand machine lived in it?

Last edited by AlZilla; 06-27-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:16 AM

I must agree with AlZilla, It is a beautiful cabinet. I have a 3 cabinets with a similar mechanism. However both of mine are cables. The big one I have contains a Singer 15 I believe. It duz have a tag on it. Its a Parsons from Osceola Arkansas approx. 1946. Its a really nice cabinet. It has a cable lift mechanism and a locking lever and other things. Really nice cabinet once ya figure out how everthin operates. The midsize cabinet I cant find a tag on, but it has a Franklin inside. Its a Treadle Machine. It also has a cable system with a butterfly top. (split in center, both sides open opposite each other) But since its a Franklin my guess would be its probably somethin also from Sears back in the day. The small cabinet I have has a White 31X in it and of course I cudnt find any kinda tag on it either. It was in really bad shape when I got it. I have sense restored it completely. SO I know theres no makers tag anywhere. Just some numbers written with some kinda crayon marker that has lasted thru all these many past years.
Sorry I couldnt be more help. I wish you luck in findin the answer you want or need. There have been so many different cabinet makes from back then, a lotta them werent even made in a factory environment. Just a cabinet shop was contracted to make a few here and there. Or even maybe a person who did it part time in their shop behind the house. Those will more than likely be the really heavy ones that are built to the max and probably passed down thru the years. I do know of 1 like that. I dont have it, my neighbor duz. Again, Good Luck and let us know whatcha find out
Old 06-29-2023, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by AlZilla View Post
I've seen that sort of lift mechanism on a couple of old New Home machines from around the turn of the last century. They both used leather straps. The strap runs from the top, across to the wheel and on down to a metal arm that extends back from the wooden platform the machine sits in.

"Back" when the machine head is up and pointed at the floor when the machine head is down. The metal arm is mounted underneath the wooden platform and centered, side to side. The machine heads on mine are screwed to the wooden platform, otherwise they'd flip out and down when the top is closed.

EDIT: My first one arrived with the strap missing and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how it was supposed to stay up. It has a small, non-obvious roller at the back that I just wasn't seeing. I left it open in the workshop for weeks and glanced at it whenever I walked past. FINALLY, I spotted that little roller and it all made sense.

That's a gorgeous cabinet, by the way. Any indication what brand machine lived in it?
I have no clue what came in it and was hoping someone on here could tell me...
Old 06-29-2023, 04:44 PM

What we were gettin at is that were not really all that up to date on cabinets. Just tryin to give you some avenues that you mite be able to pursue. Its from the pictures that you were able to post, its a quite nice cabinet. I wish I cud help you out with info that wud help you in your inquires. Some have tags screwed to them along the top on the back side. Some are branded inside the drawers. Others under the top plate in one of the corners. I cant even give you any leads to look at. Ya mite try ismacs.net I know they do have some pictures of a few sewing machine cabinets. Its a website your gonna have to get used to. Ya mite have to hope round some of the links there but, it cud be worth it. Thats bout the only place I have seen any with some kinda lead. Have you tryed Google Images? There mite be somethin there. Again, Good Luck in your search. Let us know if your able to find somethin of use to you. Dan