Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found another one, can someone help me with identity? >

Found another one, can someone help me with identity?

Found another one, can someone help me with identity?

Old 06-26-2023, 12:15 PM

Default Found another one, can someone help me with identity?

I found another old machine behind a desk. She has no letters before her serial number and the only numbers I can read at the moment are 3014191, I believe that's what it says. The badge on the front says "The Singer Mfg Co NY Trade Mark" of course everything is seized.
​​​​​Can anyone tell me anything about this machine? The model, was it an industrial or home machine? Any information would be wonderful and appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230626_160101159_HDR~2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	644568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230626_160115647.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	875.6 KB
ID:	644569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230626_161331273.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	971.8 KB
ID:	644570  
Old 06-26-2023, 12:42 PM

How about this:

Singer 48K Sewing Machine - Transverse shuttle (singersewinginfo.co.uk
Old 06-26-2023, 12:47 PM

Here's more:

Singer 48K - NBWiki (needlebar.org
Old 06-26-2023, 03:08 PM

3014191 would date to 1879:

https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...l-numbers.html

Does it have a hand crank?

Wouldn't it more likely be a 12K? The pics of the 48K show a square base,

Last edited by AlZilla; 06-26-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:03 PM

Babyoffive, check your private messages.

I'm not sure what the differences are ore years made, but it could be a New Family, 12 or 12K. Since the serial numbers without an Alpha character or two only have the approximate year it was made, but not where they were made. I doubt that I will ever see one in real life, let alone own one. I just kind of glaze over info for these machines.
Here are a couple of places that tell about them -
https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/12
https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...g-machine.html

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-27-2023, 12:09 PM

It does not have a hand crank, if it did it was not with the machine and I don't see a place where it attached. The treadle belt looks like it fits right in front of the hand wheel, behind/under the black metal piece that is there. She is really in well worn condition, I can't hardly see any decal on her at all, just in a couple of small places. I have been trying to figure out the best way to restore it. If you have any suggestions or ideas or comments, lol, this one is way beyond any age I have worked on before.

We are cleaning out my father in law's property and he was a definitely a hoarder, and honestly I wish he hoarded all trash, lol. But no, he hoarded furniture and dishes and apparently old sewing machines and a lot of things like that, lol. Every time I find a new one my husband keeps saying you cannot keep them all 🤣🤣🤣.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:27 AM

Every time I find a new one my husband keeps saying you cannot keep them all 🤣🤣🤣.[/QUOTE]

Sure you can. Hide it under the bed in the spare room or somethin. I'd love to make a find like that one. I agree with all said to this point. My favorite source is now that I found it, ismacs.net There is more info there than will fit in my tiny brain. I love it. At first I thot I seen a crank handle on it and thot it looked like a chain drive. Only ever seen 1 of them long ago. Back then I didnt care nuthin bout this sorta stuff, so I didnt look close enuf at it. Now I'm kickin myself for it. Good Luck to you and keep lookin. Let me know if ya find somethin that ya just gotta have but cant keep. I'll hold on to it for ya. The wife lets me keep all mine. (So far) But, I dont think she knows how many I really have.
Its an addiction that wont kill us. May make us broke, but it wont kill us.
Old 06-28-2023, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Babyoffive View Post
I have been trying to figure out the best way to restore it. If you have any suggestions or ideas or comments,.
Just have to strip it down and repaint it then polish or have replated anything shiny. I'd make sure it works right first, but it could be a satisfying project.
Old 06-28-2023, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Texadan View Post
Every time I find a new one my husband keeps saying you cannot keep them all 🤣🤣🤣.
Sure you can. Hide it under the bed in the spare room or somethin. I'd love to make a find like that one. I agree with all said to this point. My favorite source is now that I found it, ismacs.net There is more info there than will fit in my tiny brain. I love it. At first I thot I seen a crank handle on it and thot it looked like a chain drive. Only ever seen 1 of them long ago. Back then I didnt care nuthin bout this sorta stuff, so I didnt look close enuf at it. Now I'm kickin myself for it. Good Luck to you and keep lookin. Let me know if ya find somethin that ya just gotta have but cant keep. I'll hold on to it for ya. The wife lets me keep all mine. (So far) But, I dont think she knows how many I really have.
Its an addiction that wont kill us. May make us broke, but it wont kill us.[/QUOTE]

Lol, so far I have to say he has been super understanding, I restored a 201 many years ago and that got the addiction started 🤣. Since we started the process of cleaning out the properties I have so far found 6 machines. 2 Minnesota's, a 1913 red eye 66, a 1901 sphinx, 1879 Singer model 12? Or 12k? And an Elite. 2 are in original cabinets, 1 in a case, the rest just sitting around. As well as different attachments that I am trying to figure out which goes with what machine, lol. I am not sure if we would ever have enough room for all this🤣🤣🤣. I am sure that I will definitely have things that I will be selling once I get through everything and match it up as best as I can. ☺️