Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Question >

Fusible Question

Fusible Question

Old 07-16-2023, 03:56 PM

Cool Fusible Question

I had some white-on-white scrap fabric which I cut out some block shapes. Well, I didn't realize that it had fusible on it because the paper wasn't on it, and yes I found out quick. I piece the block and when I went to press the seam I made the discovery. Is there anything that can be applied to Kill the sticky, like if I put powder (body) on it a run an iron over it do you think it would be soaked up in the powder and the fabric no longer tacky? Also is there any way to make the text on hear larger so I can see what I am typing more easily?
Old 07-16-2023, 04:23 PM

I think 1 tip I read was to turn iron on & iron over a used dryer sheet. There is also a cleaner called Iron Off that I think works but I have not tried it.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:44 PM

the text percentage should show on the bar near the top of your computer screen. well on mine it does. If you can see it, you can change it there.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:59 PM

I use a dryer sheet often (like ctrysass) for basic keeping the iron clean. However, I'm not sure if it will do the larger job that you need. you could try the old standby of baking soda and vinegar on a cool iron (make a paste with baking powder and a tiny bit of water. put it on the iron, then spray some vinegar on and let it bubble. scrub it off with a toothbrush or sponge)
Old 07-17-2023, 05:05 AM

On making your text larger...on my Mac I hold the "command" key and hit the "+" sign to make it bigger. (and the
"-" sign to make it smaller.) On a Windows computer it would prob be the "control" key.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:15 AM

This query was re "sticky" on the fabric block…not the iron. Debj, I’ve done the same thing in my past & I do not have an answer for you. Sorry. Hope you figure it out. Perhaps iron the blocks to a very thin fabric and use then.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:44 AM

My experience removing double-sided fusible interfacing is not good. The single-sided fusible can sometimes be removed by holding the steam iron above it for 10-15 seconde to loosen the glue and then gently pull off the stable backing - however sometimes you are left with sticky. With the double sided fusible, the only thing I have found that works is to cover it with a very thin cotton batiste fabric (and yes, I did try chiffon but it was not pretty). The pieces will be slightly thicker but they shouldn't be too stiff.

When ironing the pieces that have the double-sided fusible, I use a piece of waxed paper next to the iron - and another one on the ironing board. I have also used freezer paper with the shiny side against the sticky, but I prefer waxed paper.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

If you have to use the sticky fabric then the best thing will be use featherweight interfacing over the sticky. I think I'd take the units out of the block and redo.
Spoiler

I clicked on the + sign in the square at top of post I was typing thinking it would increase the text It added a spoiler heading. I have no idea what that is good for here.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Most browsers have a zoom setting. I can increase the size of text on a page by setting the zoom higher then 100% In Chrome it is in the the vertical dots on top right.