Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Has this ever happened to you? >

Has this ever happened to you?

Has this ever happened to you?

Old 07-24-2023, 02:58 PM

Default Has this ever happened to you?

I found this CL listing:

Mid Century Furniture - furniture - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

And I saw the trapezoid table and have been emailing the seller, who is asking $75. I don't really want the machine, and I don't really have room for the table...and yet...I still believe I should make the 2+ hour round trip drive to buy it...has that ever happened to anyone??

The picture with the machine was not in the original listing, and I was hoping it was a 301.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:28 PM

Joe, I have driven 2+ hours one way for a machine I didn't need, but wanted. (Singer 12 with no decals remaining). Oh, and 3.5 hours for a 319 in a trappy case.
Two hours is a short drive for a nice trappy cabinet. It is very comfortable to sew at. The 306 looks well taken care of.
The heart wants what the heart wants!
Old 07-25-2023, 02:40 AM

Yeah, sort of. I had a listing 2 hours south of me, a machine head in poor shape in a nice #21 parlor cabinet. The seller wanted 4 or 5 hundred dollars. i watched his ad for weeks and finally reached out about separating the head from the cabinet.

Another week or two of back and forth and I was headed south, coming back $200 lighter with that gorgeous cabinet in my car.

I very much like those trapezoid cabinets. $75 seems a little steep but I'd probably bite. It's a case of a few more bucks than I'd like to spend vs how often do you see one?
Old 07-25-2023, 03:54 AM

I've not seen a trapezoid table for sale before in my area. I caved a little bit and told the seller that if she didn't get what she was asking to let me know. I'd make the drive for $50 or less, and make room somehow.

It's just that nagging in my head..."Of course you should drive to pick this up, even though you don't need it, don't want it, and don't have room for it."
Old 07-25-2023, 05:17 AM

I would totally drive that far for the trapezoid table and I already have one!
Old 07-25-2023, 05:32 AM

I was reading about the trapezoids not long ago. I thought the angle of the machine was awkward. The writer pointed out that with the left leg pulled out correctly to support the table top, the operator can center themselves on the needle rather than the machine. That appealed to me since I'm always crowding my left leg when I sew in a cabinet.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:59 AM

I once drove 1.5 hours one way for a "broken" featherweight listed on CL. I already had several, but I thought I could use it for parts, so I drove.
When I got there, I was surprised to find a well cared for, very pretty FW 222 in a very nice case with lots of extras.
That was fun.