Old 07-26-2023, 04:44 PM

I love creamed turnips. TURNIPS, CREAMED

1 lg turnip, peeled & diced

2 T white sugar

2 T butter

2 T flour

1 cup milk

Salt/pepper

Place the turnip in a saucepan with enough water to cover the cubes, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to med-low. Simmer 5 min, drain and return turnip to saucepan.

Return pan to med heat. Pour enough fresh water over the turnips to cover, add the sugar. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to med-low and simmer until turnip pieces are fork tender, drain.

Melt the butter in a separate pan over med-high heat. Stir the flour into the butter to make a roux. Whisk in the milk until the mixture thickens. Add the turnips and stir gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Old 07-27-2023, 06:23 AM

As someone said, mash them with potatoes. 1/3 turnip & 2/3 potato.
We were given green beans and I steamed them but they were too tough and stringy. I put them through the blender with hot chicken broth. I ran the blender extra long to ensure the stringy stuff was gone. Then I froze the mixture to be used for soup base. I’ll add ham and diced carrots and onions. Similar to split pea soup.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Just spotted this turnip recipe and thought I would add it to this thread ...
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...s-with-greens/

No, I have not made it, nor will I be trying it as I am one of the
"turnips are gagworthy" people in this world!!

On the upside, I will say, it's bound to be good!!
Why you ask? I've never had a bad recipe from Taste of Home, and there's been a lot over the years!! In fact, many of my best and most favourite came from Taste of Home.

So I hope the QB turnip fans here give it a try ... and let us know its rating!!
Old 07-29-2023, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I cooked a pot of turnips and greens. Yesterday I heated a bowl up for myself. I had my four years old great with me and he wanted a bite. He loved them. He ate the whole bowl . I made fried skillet cornbread and he liked that too.
He said he liked 'hot licker' (potlikker). LOL
Old 07-30-2023, 08:07 AM

Yuck, yuck & double yuck. I HATE turnips. As a Kid my father knew I hated them & he'd pile my plate full of mashed turnips. I couldn't leave the table until I ate them, so I'd sit there staring at them until 9PM & then be sent to bed. I never ate turnips again. I refuse to even touch a turnip!