Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Retreats or Groups? >

Virtual Quilting Retreats or Groups?

Virtual Quilting Retreats or Groups?

Old 02-11-2023, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

I sometimes invite a group of friends who are quilters to have a sew day at my house. Best of all possible worlds - I get to sew with a group of people that I like, and I don't have to tote my machine anywhere. They bring their own lunch, and we laugh and talk and sew all day. One friend doesn't have a lightweight machine to bring, so I let her use one of my "extra" machines.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:26 AM

I did a sewalong with Gudrun in 2020 and see she puts on wonderful virtual retreats, with her DH preparing playlists, etc. maybe check her site? https://gequiltdesigns.com/collectio...asses-lectures

My guild went to zoom meetings during covid, and even now because we pay for the zoom package, use it each Sat. Morning to sit and stitch “together” for two hours. Maybe you have a local guild that does something similar.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I've only done online quilt-alongs and they're really fun. I like the idea of a retreat though. I've been to Paducah several times with a bunch of friends and we had a blast- not quilting, but eating, talking, shopping, and most of all, laughing. Not a retreat but a great time with quilting friends.
I don't belong to a guild. The one in Columbus is way too big for me, so I don't really know who has retreats. If I did I would probably enjoy one.
We used to have a local quilting group and I really miss it. We met every month and took turns hosting. There were maybe 15 of us. That was so much fun!
Old 02-12-2023, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Have you ever been to a quilting retreat? It's really not all about the sewing. I get so inspired at a retreat and we are talking and laughing all day. Even with quilters I never met before.
I came here to say this! I love quilt retreats. I've been to ones where I didn't know anyone, and ones that were just me and my everyday quilting buddies - people I've been friends with for 15 years. Have a blast every time. Some retreats have games and classes on techniques and/or specific projects, and some retreats are a do-what-you-want free-for-all.
Pros:
I don't have to cook.
I don't have to clean up.
I go to bed whenever I want, and get up whenever I want (unless there's a class I want to participate in).
I find myself laughing all the time.
I get out of the house, a break from the everyday, and a change of scene. Retreats are usually held in beautiful spaces.
If I have a problem or a question about a project (or even something going on in my personal life) there are wonderful people around me who can help, advise, or sympathize.

Cons:
Eventually I have to go back home.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:19 PM

we did zoom meetings doing covid, I really liked them and as I have some health issues, I am still avoiding larger crowds. Also, living in northern Minnesota, It really was nice to stay in the house and not have to go out in the snow and cold to a meeting. The daylight hours get fairly short and it is nice not to have to drive after dark too. Especially before I had my cataracts out as the glare from the headlights was getting pretty bad. I do facetime sometimes with my quilting friends from out of state so we can see what each other is working on. That is fun too.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I may be the only one but I have no desire to attend a quilting retreat in person. The idea of packing everything up to take somewhere else so I can do exactly what I can do at home leaves me cold. Is anyone aware of any quilting groups that meet virtually? I think I would enjoy the camaraderie while sewing on my own project in my studio. Thanks for any help.
Another member BonnieJP mentioned this link recently. When I looked at their site, they do a virtual zoom retreat once a month, that might work for you even if they weren’t physically close to your area?
https://psqg.org
Old 02-13-2023, 07:58 AM

I have never heard of virtual sewing get together. I enjoy packing up what I need and going to retreats. It gets me to clean up my sewing room and I can work along with friends without someone saying - what are we having to eat or other interruptions. We do a potluck and just enjoy each other's company. Whatever works for you is what you do.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:48 PM

River's Edge Antiques and Quilt Shop is holding a retreat in the fall 2023. You can find more information on its website. River's Edge Antiques and Quilt Loft – River's Edge Antiques and Quilt Loft (shopriversedge.com)
Old 08-03-2023, 03:11 AM

I have begun to watch the Youtube channel titled "Conquering Mount Scrapmore with Brenda" and she mentions monthly virtual meetings where viewers can work on their own projects and converse with one another. I have not joined in but it is one more possibility if you don't want to join a live group for a few days.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I have begun to watch the Youtube channel titled "Conquering Mount Scrapmore with Brenda" and she mentions monthly virtual meetings where viewers can work on their own projects and converse with one another. I have not joined in but it is one more possibility if you don't want to join a live group for a few days.
Thanks for the introduction to Conquering Mount Scrapmore with Brenda. I especially like her Free Patter Fridays and her paper piecing patterns.