Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mini-mosaic quilts (Cheryl Lynch) >

mini-mosaic quilts (Cheryl Lynch)

mini-mosaic quilts (Cheryl Lynch)

Old 08-04-2023, 04:38 AM

we'll be moving camp from Washington to Montana today, but should have the finished piece tomorrow sometime, just have the top background to do. and a plus, am meeting a quilter in Coeur d'alene and handing off my beautiful Singer 404. A new owner for and new life adventure for it.

WesternWilson, thanks for showing your seaglass! I've seen them in images but the close up in your link shows clearly how they are done. I have 3 or 4 pair of earrings and a bracelet in seaglass, although of course they are manmade, not beach found
Old 08-04-2023, 05:39 AM

Wow, that looks like something I would like to do.
Old 08-04-2023, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
looks like about 2.5 hours to this point, just the background left to mosaic. I may Sharpie those eyes
Lena, working with batiks, when I cut the wrong angle I can just turn it over and it's right!
I was working with batiks but you have no idea how bad I am with direction. I tried turning the piece over and still had to cut it and then cut the wrong direction. The pieces are so small to begin with and I ended up with teensie tiny pieces of unusable fabrics even for a confetti quilt. Hubby says I can get lost in the shower. Does this give you some idea of how bad my sense of direction is? When I’m driving any where I always add in an extra hour for being lost. Directions of any kind, other than written, are my down fall. I usually figure out a way to make things work despite my directional handicap. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

This looks fabulous! I saw my first mini mosaic last year at a quilt show, of a fish. It was so intriguing. As far as the dragonfly eyes, I bet a couple of beads would make great eyes. Much nicer than a sharpie but a pain to quilt around.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:12 AM

oh, beads, good idea.
Lena, you made me laugh, my dad was directionally challenged and on vacations we always managed to get lost, but it always made for adventures.

Cheryl has some youtubes linked from her site
http://www.cheryllynchquilts.com/min...ic-quilts.html
I think when mine is finished I'll wrap it around stretcher bars rather than hanging sleeve. I've seen a number of Laura Hiene collages done that way, quite elegant.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:37 AM

ok, finished! well, until I get back home and quilt it. From this point it needs to be lifted off the Steam a Seam paper, placed on the background which becomes the grout, a very fine tulle placed over it and quilted.

Next up on this vacation day, foundation paper piecing, time to set up the machine Life is good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dragonfly cheryl lynch pattern.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	644982  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 08-05-2023 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:57 PM

Oh boy, I have tons of those tiny pieces that my late DH used to sew into quilts. If any one wants them, hit me up! 5/8" squares. Sorted by light, medium, and dark. I'll even pay postage.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:09 AM

really? can you show us an image of one of his quilts and a close up? I can't imagine trying to sew them But I do know I've now found them on the couch, in the bathroom and on the step outside. Like dogears they seem to go where they will. Are they batik? If so I will happily give them a new home. And do please show us a photo!

Ah, had a bright idea and checked your links Barb,
https://vermontquilts.tripod.com/id9.html
Please show us a close up!!!!

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 08-06-2023 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:26 PM

Personally NOT for me. I Hate the 2-inch squares and always move them up to at least a 3-inch size. I make the main design for the center and then block it off with the main-minor colors to give it a square section.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
really? can you show us an image of one of his quilts and a close up? I can't imagine trying to sew them But I do know I've now found them on the couch, in the bathroom and on the step outside. Like dogears they seem to go where they will. Are they batik? If so I will happily give them a new home. And do please show us a photo!

Ah, had a bright idea and checked your links Barb,
https://vermontquilts.tripod.com/id9.html
Please show us a close up!!!!
Thread about them here - https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...ts-t79481.html
here is a close-up - sorry, no batiks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	802buttcu.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	644996  

Last edited by ptquilts; 08-07-2023 at 03:12 AM.