Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A look out my window this morning >

A look out my window this morning

A look out my window this morning

Old 08-04-2023, 04:37 AM

Default A look out my window this morning

OMG, the sun is shinning and I almost can't see out my windows. They have NEVER been so cloudy and dirty!!! I have to get out today and go around the whole house. I think it's because of the smoke we've had from the Canadian fires. Have any of you noticed this, too? What do you use for really cleaning windows? I don't know how stubborn this smudgy, cloudy stuff will be to get off my windows. No quilting for me today!
Old 08-04-2023, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
OMG, the sun is shinning and I almost can't see out my windows. They have NEVER been so cloudy and dirty!!! I have to get out today and go around the whole house. I think it's because of the smoke we've had from the Canadian fires. Have any of you noticed this, too? What do you use for really cleaning windows? I don't know how stubborn this smudgy, cloudy stuff will be to get off my windows. No quilting for me today!
Are you asking quilters for house cleaning advice? You may be waiting a while.

Seriously, I agree its miserable when your windows get that dirty and a sky filled with smoke just adds to the feeling that the world is a dreary place. I don’t do ladders, so I would schedule a window cleaning company, but I hope you are successful (and safe) in getting yours clean.
Old 08-04-2023, 07:31 AM

Soot on glass is easy as compared to soot on brick or paint or wood. White vinegar and dishwashing detergent and warm water will help. I would use microfiber rags as they tend to pick up more than you expect. I don't know if those window squeeges would work but grab one from the dollar store (along with the microfiber rags, etc.) to see if it works better than the rags. If the firest are not yet gone from your part of the world, you'll have to do it again. What a task! I'm glad your house didn't get touched by the flames!

Be careful using a pressure washer if you're thinking of doing that. Your window frames might get compromised from the pressure.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:47 AM

Thanks for your input. I did get out the vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Now I think I will add a little Dawn (what can it hurt). I also have some microfiber rags that I'll dig out of the back of my cupboard. To make things worse, there's a wasps nest in the corner of the front window. Geesh!!! I live in the SW corner of MI - so not close to the fires. But, our air is smoggy and we've only had a few days that the sun has been able to shine through.
Housecleaning advise from quilters? I've found you guys know everything!!! LOL I'd rather be quilting.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

If you have to wash the windows yourself then use the water hose attachment of the window cleaning solution. Windex makes a good one. It works. The service that pressure washes our house every spring does our outside windows. Cheaper then a window cleaner alone and the house gets sparkling clean.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:41 AM

Cindy, we live in NW lower MI. Just noticed yesterday that our big front window was streaky and smugey. We just washed windows about 2 weeks ago. I assumed it was from the wildfire smoke. It did seem to come off pretty easily. BTW, we also had a yellowjacket nest in the railroad tie flowerbed right below it. Yikes. Be careful.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:14 AM

1/2 c Dawn, 1.5 c cleaning vinegar (6% acidity) is my go-to for cleaning all surfaces, including windows. Streak-free.
Old 08-06-2023, 02:43 PM

Interesting, Peckish...in Canada regular vinegar is 5%, pickling vinegar is 6% and cleaning vinegar is 10%.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:02 PM

I was recently stung by a wasp. Wasn't sure what it was, but it was like a hot needle in my elbow. I tell you, I smashed those little suckers as soon as I found the nest. The pain didn't last too long, but I still have a bump on my elbow from the bite. Has to had been a couple weeks already. Not an experience I want to repeat. Now, I need to find someone to clean my windows, they are looking bad. Maybe when it cools off. :-)
Old 08-06-2023, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Interesting, Peckish...in Canada regular vinegar is 5%, pickling vinegar is 6% and cleaning vinegar is 10%.
Maybe those are metric percents? 🤣🤣🤣🤣