Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 11-13, 2023 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 11-13, 2023

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 11-13, 2023

Old 08-11-2023, 07:05 AM

Picking my son up from camp tonight and I hope to get the molding off the walls on a room that needs painting.....

oh wait, you said virtual QUILTING weekend - not just the stuff I hope to get done.

1) Project Linus on Saturday and I have *5* to turn in. Its a little intimidating. I cant believe I got that much done along with a 2 week vacation. My anxiety has been kicking up a rumpus and I've been depressed lately* and my stitching is how I manage.
2) I have 4 waiting for Longarming. Dont think I'll get all done this weekend, But 2 use the same backing so ...maybe 2 of 4?
3) My parents are celebrating 55 years of wedded bliss - and I found a panel that I think would be perfect for them. Going to make a few bear paws for cornerstones, add borders and quilt. I have pieces cut, but need to get moving on the actual sewing.

Yesterday finished my nephew's college graduation present....only a few months late but boys are harder. The fabric and patterns are ...it needs to be just right.

*New assignments at work, there were changes made and I got the short end of the stick -- I feel disrespected. There's been a lot of tears, drinking and sewing. Only 1 of these things is productive.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:56 AM

I'm in and found my new big project at the beginning of the month. My wonderful other half and I were looking through cross-stitch patterns and we found one that we both loved and we've decided to turn it into a quilt when I'm done with it. Going to be a QAYG because I'm itching to try that method and we're going to find a good panel, which I think I found so we can do a window pane.

The cross stitch pattern is here: Celtic Tree of Life

There's 52,220 stitches in it total, I'm doing it in 18 ct. black Aida cloth and the finished size is about 13" x 13". I have the floss and bought the cloth earlier this week, however when I was getting it started, one of my dogs decided to let loose a big bark at something, I was tearing out a small mistake and my hand slipped. I tore a hole in the fabric and after spending the evening patching it, then putting the stitches back in, I decided I didn't like the way it looked and ordered more fabric, it will be here tomorrow.

Today, though, I'm cleaning up around my sewing machine and tightening up my floor frame, I noticed it was a little wobbly when I was using it, so I need to tighten some screws up on it. I'm really excited for this project, I can't wait to get it started tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:10 AM

I'll be finishing my latest Project Linus Quilt...this one is a girls quilt. Then I really need to go through my stash and maybe sell off a few pieces or cut them into smaller pieces for scrap qults. Always something to keep me busy.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:28 AM

I've never tried big stitch quilting but I think if I would try it, I would like it.
Old 08-11-2023, 01:49 PM

Yay! I'm in. Today I spent most of the day working on one of my painted quilts. I want to get it finished this weekend. I also have a quilt that I want to finish binding. And I'm still working on ditch quilting my Around We Go quilt.

Thanks for hosting, Heather.

Rob
Old 08-11-2023, 01:55 PM

Smile

Going to continue working on the Pumpkin Patch quilt designed by Rhonda McCray. Need to get the pumpkin's pieced, attach them to the nine-patch blocks and then it will be a finished quilt top.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:05 PM

A little late, but I'm in. Have finished the blocks for my GDs quilt. My goal is to get the top together.

It is a Judy Laquidara pattern in Quiltmaker (2012?) "Star Gazing". It will be my next hand-quilted project.

Thank you for hosting this weekend. I love football season. Keeps my better half busy.
Old 08-11-2023, 03:42 PM

Sounds like many of you have had productive days! I finished a couple quilts today, making good progress towards my goal. And that is with both mechanical and feline issues. The cats kept sitting on my quilt I was pushing through the machine and stealing my chair. Then the bobbin case decided to jump, which bent the needle and scratched the bobbin case. Had to wait for my husband to file off the scratch.

LogCabin82--love your snowmen avatar!

Rff1010-sorry things are rough at work.

Will check back in tomorrow
Old 08-11-2023, 06:16 PM

I'm in town for the VQW!! I managed to sew down the binding on four donation quilts today and with luck tomorrow I will get the last 10 blocks completed on my UFO, the blocks are all 75% finished. Then it's on to the other UFO that just needs borders.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:59 AM

Default Very early Saturday Morning

Last night wasn't as productive as I had hoped, part of that was my other half wanting to spend a huge amount of time playing a new video game we got a couple weeks ago. Truthfully, we both love it but I can't sit in bed that long, I need to get up and move or my joints stiffen up and I walk around like the Tin Man.

Floor frame is nice and tightened now, that's something I'm going to need to watch for future projects, I moved it into another room so it was out of the way and I think I had loosened some of the bolts. Luckily, there are wing nuts so it didn't take long to find the ones that were loose and tighten them down. I also took a moment with some Grove multi-purpose spray and a cloth to wash it down a little bit more, so we're clean and ready to go.

I will be getting to my sewing machine this morning while I wait for the fabric to arrive, I'm going to zigzag the edges to keep it from fraying before I put it on my frame. Once I do that, I'll grid it out with a heat erasable pen, it's not a full coverage piece but I want to be accurate as possible. That reminds me to test the pen on Aida cloth before I go to marking it up, that would be horrendous if it doesn't come out!