Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Question >

Batting Question

Batting Question

Old 08-17-2023, 04:54 PM

Default Batting Question

Hello Quilters - looking for a solution to a situation - I want a quilt with weight but not warmth... regular battings do not provide the weight, and I don't know what to try... ideas????
Old 08-17-2023, 05:00 PM

I use Warm and Natural, or Warm and White cotton batting. It is a flat batting that doesn't add a lot of thickness to your quilt. It gives the feel of an old fashioned quilt.

I'm not so sure you can get the weight without it being somewhat warm.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:27 PM

Are you looking for something like a weighted blanket? I'm not sure you can achieve that with batting without it being very warm
Old 08-17-2023, 06:40 PM

I think you should focus on the pattern and fabric. For example, a denim quilt with many seam allowances would be heavy.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:10 PM

You can make denim quilts without batting. I know of a few patterns if you're interested.
Old 08-18-2023, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

String quilts are heavy. Most any pattern with lots and lots of seams in the blocks will be heavy.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:05 AM

I, too, mostly use Warm & Natural. It is a heavy batting but I don't find it adds a lot more warmth as it's 100% cotton and, therefore, breaths. I also like a heavy blanket and this seems to fit the bill nicely, at least for me.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:33 AM

I made a weighted blanket for my nephew's son. He found a source of plastic beads that can be washed and bought the weight recommended. We measured the volume of the beads and then calculated the amount of beads we wanted in each "pocket". I double stitched channels into the quilt top, then poured the beads into all the channels and carefully stitched the pockets up as we worked across the channels. It took a while and I am glad my nephew helped with the handling of the quilt. I managed to miss most of the plastic beads as I stitched but did stitch one of them into the seam. I was surprised my old Viking D1 nailed that bead without blinking!
Old 08-18-2023, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I made a weighted blanket for my nephew's son. He found a source of plastic beads that can be washed and bought the weight recommended. We measured the volume of the beads and then calculated the amount of beads we wanted in each "pocket". I double stitched channels into the quilt top, then poured the beads into all the channels and carefully stitched the pockets up as we worked across the channels. It took a while and I am glad my nephew helped with the handling of the quilt. I managed to miss most of the plastic beads as I stitched but did stitch one of them into the seam. I was surprised my old Viking D1 nailed that bead without blinking!
I had thought of doing this, but I find the current (commercial) weighted blanket has a lot of warmth associated with it... I'm concerned the plastic beads would do the same... but thanks for the idea... I may do one this way yet...
Old 08-18-2023, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I, too, mostly use Warm & Natural. It is a heavy batting but I don't find it adds a lot more warmth as it's 100% cotton and, therefore, breaths. I also like a heavy blanket and this seems to fit the bill nicely, at least for me.
I don't find Warm and Natural provides enough weight.... but thanks for suggesting...