Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slider for FMQ >

Slider for FMQ

Slider for FMQ

Old 08-18-2023, 02:44 PM

Default Slider for FMQ

I would suggest one that Sew Steady sells that has grid lines on it. Then you'll be able to also use it to avoid marking stitch lines for Half Square Triangles. They help the quilt slide over the bed of your domestic machine, especially when working on large, bulky quilts. You can polish your machine bed & that helps. Sew Steady sells polish or you can use Turtle Wax. The slider is really helpful if your extension table that fits over your machine doesn't exactly line up or if there's a gap; it keeps the quilt moving. Sew Steady also sells extension arms that hold up the bulk of your quilt when working with large quilts, but you can buy the same thing from Amazon that is used for dog bathing.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:04 AM

I give!!!! Silicone pad was not useful. It's actually sticky. It might be good for baking cookies, though. I'll order a mat next time I order from Amazon. I'm going back to the walking foot and finishing this quilt. It will take lots of turning the quilt, but at least I won't have to pick out any more quilting lines.

I'm not giving up, though. I just need to finish this quilt.

bkay
Old 08-20-2023, 05:20 AM

I also use the quilting gloves but not the slider. I have one but it sometimes came loose and was moving around under the quilt until it got under the needle, not good. My machine is slippery enough and works for me for FMQ.
Old 08-24-2023, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

I had a supreme slider and an oven liner. Then I got a magic carpet sled from Amazon. I cut a hole for the needle and taped it down. Then I realized none of them improved my quilting experience. I tried all kinds of gloves and settled on Machingers

Last edited by Stitchnripper; 08-24-2023 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:55 AM

I use a Sew Slip mat and it helps with FMQ. I've also tried nonstick oven liners (not silicone mats) and they worked pretty well. My problem with them, as well as the magic carpet sled was that the tape holding them down would give out at the worst time. I'm sure that was user error more than anything else. I do wear Machingers when I quilt on my domestic machine.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:02 AM

I ordered the Sew Steady mat yesterday. It will arrive Saturday.

If this doesn't work for me, I'll buy a foot and switch to my 15-91 (bonus - it has a bigger bobbin). I'll just set it up for ruler work and leave it. I'll polish the cabinet and see if that helps. I'm determined.

I think I may have to set up something to help manage the quilt. This one is just a large lap quilt, so anything bigger will be hard to move.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 08-25-2023 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I have quilting gloves and they are a big help even if you aren't doing FMQ or ruler quilting. They are Fons and Porter, as that is all JoAnn's had and of course, I wanted them right now. They are getting a little worn.

I bought a silicone baking mat this morning at the restaurant supply. We'll see how it works. I'll still probably buy one off Amazon, but I didn't want to wait 4 days for free shipping and I'm too cheap to buy Prime. I'll let you know if it works.

bk
This was me too. I bought a slider when they first came out....and immediately sewed it to the back of my quilt. Then I bought a few oven liners...they came about 3 to a pack or so. Used one on my ironing board, and taped the other down on my sewing table....it worked great.
But then, I found this for less than $5:
https://fabricwholesaledirect.com/pr...9460414652531#
Love it!

I can use the polish on it that I got to use with my sew steady table if I need to later

BTW that oven liner on my ironing board works really really well to get crisp flat ironed seams- just sayin
I use it with my wool mat

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 08-25-2023 at 02:08 PM.