Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes >

Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes

Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes

Old 08-18-2023, 05:39 AM

Default Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes

I make desserts every Sunday when I go up to my sister's. She makes the dinner and I bring the dessert whether I purchase it or make it from scratch. This weekend it's Pineapple Upside Down cupcakes but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have some oversized cupcake pans and the paper inserts I thought I'd use but don't know if it's going to work as planned.

I'm using the Very Moist Pineapple Upside Down Cake box from I think Hines and I've used it before but I did it in an Instant Pot which it came out very heavy so I'm back to baking this time.

Can anyone give me hints, suggestions on how to do these so they come out like they should? Use the paper inserts, don't use the paper inserts, if I use the paper inserts...do I removed them immediately after baking or can I leave them on until we're ready to eat? So many questions.

The last time I baked this cake I had an accident. I used my glass pedastal cake plate and after flipping the cake right out of the oven onto the plate, moments later I heard a crack and half the plate broke. Then minutes later the other half broke off leaving me with brown sugan/butter running all over my counter top and my guests arriving. I didn't know whether to cry or just laugh it off. At least the plate didn't shatter giving me shards of glass thru the cake so I could selvage the cake at least but what a mess. I have now replaced the plate with a microwve plate that fits the dome lid. It shouldn't break with the heat...........hopefully.

I'll be baking these cupcakes tomorrow morning (Saturday) so suggestions are needed ASAP if possible. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2023, 04:29 PM

Oh my youngest granddtr loves pineapple. Buys cans of it and eats that like crazy. She would love these cupcakes. they do sound good to me too....
Old 08-18-2023, 06:07 PM

I would make the cake according to the directions on the back, using a cupcake pan, do not use the papers, put a pineapple slice in the bottom followed by brown sugar, then pour the batter over the pineapple and brown sugar and bake according to the package directions, just keep a watch on it, use the tooth pick method to check for doneness.
Good luck, you should be ok
Old 08-18-2023, 10:33 PM

I saw them one time made in the large muffin pan without the papers. They sprayed the heck out of the muffin pan, then put in the Pineapple and cherry with the sugar etc. on that, then the batter. Once cooked they put a tray on top and flipped it quickly. I considered trying it but found out I was the only one in my family that really liked Pineapple Upside Down cake. It has always been my favorite since I was a small child.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:35 PM

I found this recipe using cake mix......

https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everyth...down-cupcakes/
Old 08-19-2023, 04:04 AM

Yummy! I like fresh pineapple. I love the idea of cupcakes!
I had cole slaw once with chopped pineapple added....now that is what I add!
Old 08-19-2023, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post

Great recipe Feather ... better than trying to fit a pineapple slice into a muffin tin that's the wrong size!! Easy to serve and manages portion control!

Plus, should there be leftovers, they will be look fresh and pretty, when you serve them later.

Now you have me drooling for this .... but more so .....
Peach Upside Down Cake.
My overall preference, plus it's in season right now!

Last edited by QuiltE; 08-19-2023 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:37 AM

Feather3, thanks for the site, checked it out and it helps. It was strange that she didn't mix the brown sugar with the melted butter but just added them one at a time into the pan. I like that but as I have sliced pineapple I'll have to go with that today. Plus I'm using my larger sized cupcake pans too. Just waiting for my eggs to get room temp before I start on it.

Thanks again. That's what I needed. Also, won't be using the papers either until I remove them from the pan and then I'll put them into papers to deliver them to those getting these little jewels.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:39 AM

QuiltingCandy. I'd thought I'd use the papers in the pans but now I think I'll just spray them heavily and then put them into the papers afterwards so they look nice when I deliver them to those getting these little jewels.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
Old 08-19-2023, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post

this sounds yummy, if I can find a gluten free white mix, I will try this for my next quilt group dessert.