Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of sewing machine needles do you use? >

What type of sewing machine needles do you use?

What type of sewing machine needles do you use?

Old 08-25-2023, 06:16 AM

I use Schmetz or Organ. I love the Schmetz Microtex. I mostly use 80/12 for piecing and quilting. I use Glide thread to quilt and find that the 80/12 needle works best with the Glide. Matching your needle to your thread can make all the difference.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:37 AM

I use the Superior Threads titanium coated 80/12 topstitch needles.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:23 PM

Bob from Superior Threads has a series of videos on YouTube talking about thread in quilting. It’s very informative and I watch it when I need to know something about thread or needles. He recommends topstitch needles exclusively for quilters. I like Organ brand but I can never remember if I should buy 80 or 90, so I go back and watch the videos.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

The more I think about this I came to my own "conclusion" for myself to use the needle/thread combo that gives me the result I want. I like to try a lot of things - always open to an idea regardless of "I was always taught to...". There may be something new that gives a better result. So I have tried a lot of needle brands and sizes and types on my machines (all either vintage or mostly mechanical with an electronic one thrown in) which have no specific requirements of using "their" needles. And all kinds of threads including serger thread. So far I have had success that satisfies me. If something doesn't work I try something else. None of my machines are "persnickety".
Old 08-26-2023, 09:25 AM

I prefer top stitch needles dipped in titanium from Superior Threads. Seems to me these last the longest. Before I started quilting I used a universal point for most fabrics except knits, the idea being a more rounded point would penetrate between the weave while a sharper needle point would stab individual threads and thus damage the fabric. For me the exact opposite is true. In terms of size I use 70 or 80 for piecing, and 90 for quilting. I used cotton 50 weight thread for most piecing until I learned about Mara 120 polyester thread available at Waawak Sewing Supply. It works well for me and has saved me lots of money.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:43 AM

I buy in bulk, 100,at a time. Always Organ. For quilting, I buy 90/14 topstitch titanium.
Organ is the only needle that Janome and Superior Threads sells. I knew they had done their Home work, when watching one of the free videos on Superior Threads website, so that is the only brand I buy.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:26 PM

Schmetz Microtex Needles are my needle of choice.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I use Schmetz on my Bernina and Organ on my Juki.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:50 AM

I am really not the fussy and try to buy in bulk/on sale, typically in the 3 size packs of 10-12-14. I do like those Schmetz MicroTex but if I'm out I'll grab Singer universal or whatever is available to me.

I do use a tiny stitch while piecing and prefer to use the size 10 needle, I will use a 12. I typically use the 14 for the quilting down, but sometimes find going up from that more suitable for the project. Before my moving hiatus I was trying different styles of needles for my quilting. I wasn't seeing much difference from a top stitch or universal or other styles.

For those of you with long arms, do you change needles sizes much?
Old 08-30-2023, 07:12 PM

Universal needles do nothing well. Use a sharp for wovens and a ball point for knits, not something that does so-so on either. For piecing I generally use an 80/12 Schmetz Microtex. For quilting I generally use a 90/14 Schmetz Microtex on my domestic but no smaller than 100/16 on the long arm.