Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Recommendations Wanted! >

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 08-29-2023, 02:02 PM

Tap Code is on my list, but I haven't gotten started yet.

I usually go for the Great Series courses on whatever topic sounds interesting (they have everything from history, culture, nutrition, religion, physics, writing, speaking, etc etc.) I tend to lean towards linguistics, mythology, and human pre history things.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:30 PM

The Bronze Horseman trilogy
Pillars of the Earth the Kingsbridge series
Calico Palace
If I were you
Call your daughter home
Orphan Train
A Column of Fire
War And Remembrance
Follow the river
Old 08-29-2023, 03:09 PM

Try the Marc Camerson books - Arliss Cutter series or the Jericho Quinn series. Also look for the Slough House series by Mick Herron
Old 08-29-2023, 07:14 PM

I second the Longmire series by Craig Johnson. One of my favs. I also love the Ian Rutledge series by Charles Todd (actually a mother/son writing team) and Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series. There are tons more series and stand alone's that I read, but that's a start.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

I have realized that to me the no book for me people are very different then readers or audio book listeners. Their personality has a flatness that stands out to me. I started noticing it in high school. I call it my book-dar. I could tell the non readers of all my co workers over the years.I would ask if they would like a book I finished. Everyone I could tell didn't read said no thanks, I don't read.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:58 AM

Our last bookclub book pick was Grandma Gatewood's Walk by Ben Montgomery.

Every person at the bookclub loved it. One even said it was her favorite book our bookclub has ever read in the 35 years we have been meeting. I highly recommend it.

My current favorite author is Fredrik Backman. I especially liked Britt Marie Was Here and Anxious People.

Last edited by JENNR8R; 08-30-2023 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:06 AM

I had a nice visit with a quilt group that meets at a local library yesterday. Again, combining books and quilting I met the host/driving force while I was at an auto repair because she was wearing a quilting t-shirt and we were chatting.

I agree, Longmire books look like a good fit to me and I like that there are quite a few of them! Also the Marc Cameron books.

Tap Code sounds fascinating but as the daughter of Viet Nam veteran, I largely avoid that point in history. My father went twice, was never captured but was injured/shot. Families back home pay a price that is rarely mentioned. I can handle other conflicts better, like maybe Herman Wouk books.

I have listened to several of the Great Series courses and among scientific genres I keep pretty well up on various concepts in physics and some mathematics.

My brother is huge into Ken Follett, haven't listened to Pillars of the Earth but have done another book or two. He tells a good long story.

Sadly some of the books mentioned are not available (through my library at least) on audio. Granda Gatewood's Walk is one of those. But I did laugh hysterically over parts of Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods.

About the readers/no readers, my husband was definitely in the no reader camp of things and thought all history was boring until recently, When he went keto and was successful in his weight loss he started listening to podcasts, mostly about food and nutrition and the keto view. He was able to listen to them at work and quickly went through his favorites, so started listening to books by some of the hosts and guests. In the last couple of years he has branched out into fiction and is seeing a point in more history, or as I say "we are living in history now". LOL and PBS helps too! I was watching Call the Midwife and he went by and got pulled in. Also he really likes the James Herriott/All Creatures stories. For years I would quote James Herriot at him and I thought he understood the references, and now he does!

Poor husband, with our moving and staying in small B&Bs he is being subjected to more and more of my insomnia listening. On the good side of things, he actually has found some of my books interesting and has checked them out for himself! Even including some of my physics sort of subjects and has asked for some introductions. Pretty much anything by Michio Kaku and Neil deGrasse-Tyson is interesting and accessible.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Sadly some of the books mentioned are not available (through my library at least) on audio. Granda Gatewood's Walk is one of those.
You can get it on Amazon with a free Audible trial:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=grandma+g...ref=nb_sb_noss
Old 08-30-2023, 05:43 AM

The Outlander series is on audio as well as printed plusof course DVD as I have them all. These books are huge up to 700+ pgs each so I doubt if you would be able to finish one in a week unless you read all night. The Outlander series on TV has become a big hit these days. Diana Galbaldon (I think I spelled her name correctly) is the author.

It's not anything to do with quilting or sewing but a great read just the same.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I am reading Preston and Childs newer book The The Cabinet of Dr. Leng (Agent Pendergast Series) The library had the e version available. I rarely buy hardbacks unless a older cloth or leather bound classic I find at thrift shops. My husband is an avid reader. He downloads the new releases of his favorite authors as soon as they are available. I bought him his first Kindle years ago and he hasn't been in a library or bookstore since.