Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone gone through the process of copyright? >

Has anyone gone through the process of copyright?

Has anyone gone through the process of copyright?

Old 08-29-2023, 05:53 PM

Default Has anyone gone through the process of copyright?

Has anyone gone through the process of getting their pattern copyrighted? Who do you contact to do this? Is it costly? How long does it take? And exactly what protection does it give?
Old 08-30-2023, 05:18 AM

I have no info in how long and how much this might cost you as I have never even considered this. I do have an "opinion" on what protections it provides you as a creator. It only provides you (imho) protection if you are willing to find and go after violators.

I am overly cautious of copyright material as are most others that I know but I have seen lots of what I would refer to as copyright infringements on the web. I often will purchase a pattern if I want to recreate it (or part of it) just to support the creator and their ideas even though I could easily redraw the quilt in EQ8. Good luck - and I hope, if you choose to do this, you will share the process?
Old 08-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Your original work is under copyright protection as soon as it's created. The process you refer to is the registration of the copyright. I agree with eparys, that registering the copyright is only useful if you are willing to go to court after finding an infringement. (Even without registering the copyright, you could still go to court to stop someone copying your work, if you have the documentation to support that it is your original work.)

The only original part of a quilt pattern is usually the pattern itself - words and pictures - since most of the designs are not sufficiently original to be placed under copyright.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:34 AM

I have a small pattern design business. All that is really required is that you put the copyright symbol on your pattern with the date it was created. You can also put the pattern in a sealed envelope and mail it to yourself with the date stamped clearly on the envelope. That's called the "poor man's copyright." I've only had problems with someone copying and distributing my pattern once.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:17 AM
Power Poster

Visit the US Copyright.gov website. The application is available and all the information you need to know. There are different types of copyright . You can register up to 10 different unpublished works in one application. The cost is dependent on the category and I’m sure a few other factors- you can fill out the forms and then it will tell you the cost- you can decide if you want to proceed or not

Old 09-05-2023, 06:37 AM

I've never been involved with copyright but our company has done drawings for clients who want to patent them. That process is long and involved and the clients we've had who were successful mostly used a lawyer.