Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 09-05-2023, 08:44 AM

Happy, Happy Birthday, Iceblossom!
Enjoy!

Old 09-05-2023, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Well, I'm starting a new kaleidoscope quilt by layering 8 panels, which I accomplished yesterday. I needed 7 pieces of fabric, usually blues, from light to dark, to complete the block. I want to use batiks this time. I filled my cart at Equilters with over $200 of beautiful fabrics. I always wait a day to come back to the cart and weed out what I can live without. Ended up finding all 7 pieces in my stash!! Didn't order anything. Yeah!
Good girl! Now that is an accomplishment. You are strong, You are invincible. You are a mighty smart quilter!
Old 09-21-2023, 09:00 AM

I caught myself looking at on-line fabric selling outlets the other day, enjoying new stuff that I haven't seen before. I backed out before I started reaching for the debit card -- I find "cool backs" really hard to resist...

I'm still not unpacked but I'm getting closer. We haven't heard back from the contractor on the estimate to build the closets in my sewing room of the new house, but this week the floor contractor has been working on refinishing the hardwood floors that had (badly) been painted white.

I'm hoping to actually sew some this coming Tuesday at my group. It will be my first sewing project in 18 months or so, I've selected a string quilt variation not so fussy on seams or precision I think it will be a good getting started again and portable project. It will also be a great small strip and pieces option. I have some prep work to do first and some prewashing but I now have a washer and dryer at the house instead of the laundromat.

I've saved this project for quite a long time, is from a Quilters Newsletter dated December 1996! It is a variation that uses an odd shaped piece to form a secondary pattern and I will generally be following the directions and paper piecing. I will be using collected Christmas fabrics in true red/green/white. 10 or so years ago I went from over 2 boxes of Christmas fabric to under 1 box. I purged out the non-true red/green/white fabrics and gave them to the Forgotten Children's Fund that had placed a Craig's List ad looking for donations to make Christmas Stockings. LOL, they got some donations from me! I know they met their desired quota for that year.

Old 09-21-2023, 01:20 PM

Yea, I am sending you a gold star for resisting the "cool backs" online when it is altogether possible in your stash you have some "cool backs already!" Won't it be fun to open all your boxes and rediscover all of the terrific stash you have right at your finger tips.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:10 AM

Playing/working with real fabric has helped the urge to buy fabric tremendously!

I am set for my Tuesday group tomorrow. I've cut a bunch of "kite" shaped pieces from a white on white, and the first set of red on red that will frame the white. With my vision issues and since I often drop stuff and have to do my careful stacking, I've learned to string the subtle pieces onto a needle and thread and they are all right side up to help me when I start sewing tomorrow.

It just turned out that the remnant of the red on red will be perfectly sized to cut into my stored 6.5" strips!

There were several ways I could have cut the kite pieces, some more "fabric intensive" than others. When I first decided to make this pattern I was considering using the white background as a foundation piece. I've decided to follow the directions and paper piece. The inspiration quilt is "Christmas Kaleidoscope" from Quilter's Newsletter Magazine December 1996, but I'm changing a few things... more blocks, taking away one border, stuff like that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_095626.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	645673  
Old 09-26-2023, 09:21 AM

Ice blossom, so good to hear you’re settled, an little. And finding ways to manage your challenges.

There’s a coupon for 20% at LQS. Got the itch to shop. Started getting my list ready. 😲. Getting excited. Then, decided to straighten the studio. That means putting things away in stash. Found backs for all the flimsy’ s. And digging through stash, I realize there’s plenty of projects to keep me busy. Some fabrics I’d really like to work with. Even found fabric for a Guild challenge.

Dodged the temptation.

Saw the need to sweep the garage. Cleaned door frames. Back needs a rest.
Old 09-26-2023, 11:52 AM

Glad to have you back, Iceblossom - have fun with your new project and new quilty friends!

And way to go, Pet! That is a serious victory on so many levels. :-) Enjoy your rest and while you've got your feet up you can plan your stash projects!
Old 09-26-2023, 12:10 PM

Since we are in a resist the temptation theme for the moment... I am happy to proclaim I did not bring anything home from the quilt meeting "give away table" last evening. Not one little scrap. I did not even go over to look. Okay, stop cheering and clapping. To be honest there was very little on the give away table. I am with Pet. I think I should start with putting all the little bits and bobs away, clean up my work space and then move forward with a top to be quilted before it becomes a UFO and to cut the pieces for my group exchange blocks.
Old 09-26-2023, 11:00 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

IceBlosom,
what is a cool back?
Old 09-27-2023, 04:20 AM

There is no "coolness" like with the foam mattress toppers -- just stuff that I think is cool! Back when I started quilting there were very few extra wide backs other than plain muslin or sheets and now I can get inspiration for the pieced top of the quilt from the backing instead of the other way around

I still use stash when I can, but I have fewer and fewer 6 yard + pieces suitable for backs