Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable Sewing Machines >

Portable Sewing Machines

Portable Sewing Machines

Old 09-05-2023, 05:51 AM

Default Portable Sewing Machines

Although I moved a lot of fabric, I did not move a lot of sewing machines. Think it was about 7?? that had to find new homes. Right now I have Bernie (Bernina 820, huge and heavy), and Remy (Vintage Remington - like a Morse, heavy as a boat anchor) and an antique (pre-1900 even) Hand Crank.

I have already found a small quilt group that has a 4-hour block at a nearby (5ish miles) library that has a good set up with tables and electric and everything needed to actually sew. My previous group was a 2-hour block around a large dining room table and I mostly brought small hand work or trimming projects.

From previous discussions on this board, I'm sort of keyed in on a mechanical (as opposed to computerized) Eversewn Sparrow or a low end Brother as my portable. Key features are some sort of auto needle threader or assist, a good 1/4" quilting foot, and a price point below $300. I did have a close to bottom of the line Brother before and was surprised how well it did to make masks, both straight and zig-zag stitches, and I still have a quilting foot for it in my stuff, as well as bobbins.

So, what suggestions or experiences can you offer me?
Old 09-05-2023, 06:22 AM

Well mine traveling machine is presently my Bernina 215 (red machine) I picked it up as a travel machine although it is a bit heavier than the Gem Gold I had earlier (Janome) which was also very easy to take to class as it came with a carrying satchel. I don't know if they are making the 215 anymore but Bernina does have a 300 series which is also lighter. One of the things I loved about both of these machines is that they have the 5.5 mm feeddogs so it is very easy to just plop on a 1/4 inch foot and get a good quarter inch seam. I did pay more for them them (about $600) as I recall. But they both are sturdy machines and had better motors in them then the less expensive ones. I actually have used both of them as my main piecing machines because of the ease of the 1/4 inch seam. The other machines I now have are my Berina 590 which I have pulled out of the cabinet and am currently using for embroidery and my Bernia 475 which is also a 5.5 mm machine which is now in my cabinet to use for my main piecing machine as I did miss a few of the features that the 215 doesn't have like the knee lift and BSR. Oh, the 475 is a bit heavy but I can still take it to class. The 590 I can lift out of the cabinet and put in the trolling but is a bit of a stuggle for me to take to a class. Oh, I gave my Gem Gold to my nephew as he wanted a mending machine.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Here's a different suggestion, than you were requesting!

What about asking your new quilt mates if anyone has a machine to part with?
Just like many of us (and yourself before the move), they may have perfectly good machines for what you want, that they have traded up from, but kept.

You might get better value for your money, and stay with in your price line with one of these older machines, than the newer cheaper machines that meet your price point.

Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2023, 07:46 AM

One of the ladies at the group has offered a loaner, which is greatly appreciated. I also appreciate your suggestion/point of view and was planning on chatting with the group today about machines

I've always been a big fan of vintage machines, one of the ones I parted with was a 301 which was certainly portable but honestly although I used it I was never comfortable with the slant needle. The Dressmaker?? was also under 20 pounds, which is my top weight limit (even with a rolling case you still have to take it in/out of the car). Unfortunately, vintage machines do not usually have a threading assist or good enough lighting for my vision issues, also it can be hard to find a 1/4 inch quilting foot. I am so used to using for all sides and some techniques simply don't work so well when the throat plate is covered up by fabric.. Yes,I know I can use threaders and do have a portable Ott light, but each thing like the Ott light adds to the weight and threaders are often lost and it is just sad watching me try to thread a needle without one! Finally, and I admit this is a silly "me" thing but I prefer to do all the work on one machine for consistency reasons/superstitions!

This machine will always and only be for group and low usage, I will get a rolling carrying case and it will be pretty much packed all time time except for group/class.. I see things like paper pieced blocks, or small crib quilt with minimal seams as typical project. It won't be used for quilting down, and doesn't need a wide throat or serpentine stitch or buttonholes. I will have Bernie and/or Remy set up for regular/heavy usage.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, I wasn't thinking vintage, but some of the newer/older machines will meet your requirements. With them being "newer" than vintage, they're the ones that a quilter has loved but wanted more bells and whistles, so traded up, but probably kept because they loved it so much.

I'm sure you will have what you want before long.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:52 PM

The Bernina Bernette 35 has gotten pretty good reviews- it's mechanical, and has a threader feature:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Bernette+3...=v314-1&ia=web

it's available lots of places, including online

this one is (barely) under 300 under "buying options"
https://www.amazon.com/Bernette-Swis.../dp/B06XHBSRGN

of course, online doesn't come with dealer perks....

back in 2018 I was in a quilting group that had a sewing/ classroom available, and there were 4 Bernettes available to use. Most of the ladies liked them, except for the somewhat small throat space. Can't remember which Bernettes (33? 35?) they were though.

You could probably use accessories/ feet you already have for your Big Bernie?

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-05-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:36 PM

Other than the lady with the loaners, none of the group there today had any lightweight machines -- but several are considering options! (the oof! factor is real) A couple have only their one machine but they pretty much only sew at group.

The Bernette is one on my list to consider, I don't think the feet are interchangeable with the 820 but it is something to look at. Eversewn is a relatively new company -- it is not a division of Bernina but was founded by a member of the Bernina family. When they first came out, a lot of people were raving about them for quilt camps or other portable/class situations but I haven't seen much lately.

Others on the new list that meet my general requirements are the Janome 2212, a couple Singers, a couple Brothers, and the Juki HZL-27Z. All have pluses and minuses. I have no real brand loyalty.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:08 PM

Something else to consider is the Trade-in sale Bernina is having this month. I have gotten emails from at least 3 stores + Bernina about this. Any machine, any condition you could trade in for a Bernette. I believe that would be less than $300 then.
Local store had someone get a cheap machine at a thrift store for trade in.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:12 PM

I have the eversewn sparrow QE, and I still really like it after several years. Got it when they first came out...but I've never packed it up and taken it on a walkabout...
Old 09-09-2023, 02:07 PM

I own 2 large / heavy machines for at home...but for sewing days with my quilt groups, l have 2 to chose from...a Singer Featherweight l bought from a community fb selling site( reasonably priced and works beautifully for basic piecing...(the carry box was awefull, but it's too heavy anyway, l use a little rolling case). The other machine is a computorized little Singer 9050 with lots of fancy stitches, perfect for appliqué, piecing or doing fmq on small projects...got it as used for $100 on a sale site as well, and it's worked faithfully for 5 yr now. I took it to Fla. and back in the RV..