Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Recommendations Wanted! >

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 09-27-2023, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Killing Lincoln by Bill O’Reilly. ( I learned so much)
I did, too! I've read a few of this books in the "Killing" series. They are so informative and interesting to read. I highly recommend them.

CJ Box is one of my newer discoveries. I love all of his Joe Pickett books. I've also read one of his Cody Hoyt/Cassie Dewell books (the ones the Big Sky series was based on). It was good too. I'm planning to read one the stand alones when my used book stores has it
Old 09-30-2023, 06:49 AM

I keep losing my posts partway through so I am about to just post a lot! Great thread……..

I love to read in general. Access to audiobooks while quilting changed my life. I love to listen and quilt. So here are some favorites.

Peter Graiger’s DC Smith is so good. https://www.goodreads.com/series/161291-dc-smith. First book in the series is An Accidental Death. From Goodreads ……

The story opens with the apparently accidental drowning of a sixth form student in the Norfolk countryside. As a matter of routine, or so it seems, the case passes across the desk of Detective Sergeant Smith, recently returned to work after an internal investigation into another case that has led to tensions between officers at Kings Lake police headquarters. As an ex DCI, Smith could have retired by now, and it is clear that some of his superiors wish that he would do so.

The latest trainee detective to work with him is the son of a member of his former team, and together they begin to unravel the truth about what happened to Wayne Fletcher. As the investigation proceeds, it becomes clear that others are involved - some seem determined to prevent it, some seem to be taking too much interest. In the end Smith operates alone, having stepped too far outside standard procedures to ask for support. He knows that his own life might be at risk but he has not calculated on the life of his young assistant also being put in danger. He might still get his man but at what cost?
Old 09-30-2023, 07:09 AM

Now for a couple of other favorites that I have read/listened to many times.

The Meg Lanslow series by Donna Andrews. It’s more cozy than crime but I love it. Actually I am partway through a series reread right now because there are new books in this series coming out this Fall. Here’s the first in the series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...=nav_sb_ss_1_7

Now for CS Harris. I love historical mysteries and Sebastian St. Cyr is the best……this series gets much better after the third book so if you are interested stick with it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...=nav_sb_ss_1_7

Old 09-30-2023, 07:16 AM

I love the Pillars of the Earth series and am looking forward to the new one being released. Another great historical series is by CJ Sansom and his Shardlake books. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...l6WwoD0&rank=1

For Sci Fi fans Murderbot is fun on audio. They are short so use your library not your credits! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...=nav_sb_ss_1_9

I have put the first Kyla Stone on hold. Thank you for the recommendation. I still need to look up a few more of the recommendations.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:38 PM

I don't know if the following series are on audio books, but I would give Lawrence Block's Burglar series a try. They are very entertaining IMO. I also like the In Death series by J.D. Robb (pen name for Nora Roberts), but these do have some adult content and a lot of swearing in them, but still a good read (again IMO). Joanna Fluke writes a cozy mystery series with the main character's name Hanna Swenson. One title is the Fudge Cupcake Murder.

Shari
Old 10-01-2023, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

If anyone wants to laugh out loud I recommend anything by Jill Conner Browne, the Sweet Potato Queen from Mississippi - she narrates them and that makes them even more enjoyable. Just something to pass the time. I had them on CDs back when we were driving back and forth from Baton Rouge to Atlanta and Mr. Stitchnripper thought he didn't want to listen and after a while he was laughing so hard! I just checked out "The Maid" today by Nita Prose, for one of my book clubs. Just finished listening to The Christie Affair by Nina de Gramont for the other book club
Old 10-03-2023, 01:22 PM

I'm appreciating some of the lighter story/author suggestions. I've been getting lots of books that were on hold pre-release now released. So I have finished the latest Preston/Child Nora Kelly book (set in the Pendergast universe), and this morning I finished the latest Robert Galbraith (JC Rowlings adult oriented non-Harry Potters series).

Off hold now I have book 2 of the Longmire books, and the first Marc Cameron book, Open Carry recommended on this thread. If I don't get another hold dropped on me, I think I can surely appreciated something without a dead body, or maybe a dead body with a sense of humor...

I haven't read them in years, but I was thinking of Tony Hillerman's books about Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. After his death his daughter took over the franchise but I haven't read any of her books yet. There is a series based on these books, Dark Winds.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:17 PM

The Trav McGee series by John D. MacDonald is an oldie but a goodie.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:28 AM

I’ve read all the 'Reacher' books, but they don’t compare to the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. Flynn died of cancer a few yrs ago, but Kyle Mills has continued the character without missing a beat. My son & I both love the CIA/secret ops action novels. If you want to get hooked, I suggest American Assassin to begin with…to explain how Matt Rapp became the president's "secret agent". We are also hooked on the Gray Man action series by Mark Greany. I didn’t see John Grisham named as a fave author for 'lawyer' themed books. The latest Vince Flynn release is this week…I am sooo anxious to get it. Im a 'can’t put it down' even if it means reading thru the night. LOVE a good action book!
Old 10-04-2023, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the mention/reminder of the Vince Flynn books, I think I'm about halfway through them and should put them on my wish list.

Grisham writes a great story as well -- I found that in the 90s when all of his books were being made into movies that I Iiked them better if I watched the movie first and then read the book and got out of the habit of reading them. Again, should put several on my wish list to remind me.

I also like Steve Berry's Cotton Malone books -- sort of like Vince Flynn crossed with a bit of Dan Brown (DaVinci Code). More action than lawyer.

For another older series that might have been missed at the time, I enjoyed the Barbara Holloway books by Kate Wilheim. Barbara is a death penalty qualified lawyer in Oregon. More lawyer than action