Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much to charge >

How much to charge

How much to charge

Old 09-29-2023, 07:09 PM

$15 per hour. And that's CHEAP.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:06 AM

The only time I made a quilt for pay was a t-shirt quilt, which involved cutting up the t-shirts and backing them with iron on interfacing before sashing and putting them together. I asked $10 an hour for my time, and I had the customer (a friend) come with me to the fabric store to buy the fabric for the sashing, binding, and back, as well as the batting. This worked well as she was able to see how much fabric costs nowadays. I think I'd charge more for my time now, but I resolved not to do anything like this again.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:22 AM

I think you may just need to finish what you started. You already cut up all of the 'blankets etc.' and to only do one quilt and return the rest of the square you already cut is kind of low. It is a project you already started, agreed to do, and you should finish it, even though you didn't do the pricing up front. To expect her to find another quilter to somehow utilize the squares you already cut is wrong and unfair in my opinion. (doing this you are giving back her remaining blankets - damaged)

So if I was in your position, I'd take it as a learning experience and just go with it being a gift. I agree with the fact that most who don't sew/quilt would probably consider 'Walmart' pricing to be what they would be thinking you are going to charge, and honestly it would not be fair to charge her the high price that quilter's deserve for their work, since a price was not decided on before you cut up all the blankets and started the quilts.

Since you feel that you don't want to do this again, I also agree with the others that you will be inundated with 'orders' for other quilts if you charge her what she is probably expecting (the Walmart price).

So again, I'd take it as a lesson learned - finish both quilts and give them to her as a gift.

Old 09-30-2023, 03:24 AM

So many things could be factored into charging for this project. Charging for time is anyone's guess but materials is another topic. I think you would be within reason to start with the cost of replacing the fabric you used for the back, Even though it came from your stash, you paid for it. She has supplied the front and you used scraps for the batting. Unless you had another project of your own planned for the batting, you may be glad to have used that! Batting pieces seem to accumulate faster than fabric scraps for me anyhow!
Rag quilt. I assume you are talking about the one with the "fringe" between blocks. Yes, a lot of work and hard on the hands. I'd suggest starting on doing the clipping on that, showing her how it's done and ask her to finish doing the clipping.This would make the work a part of her own and she might appreciate your time/talent more.
A rag quilt from those soft blankets, ohhhh, I love that idea.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:38 AM

I like Illinois idea of asking for help on cutting the fringe that is hard work, time consuming and hard on the hands.
You could ask in the way that you thought she may wish to contribute to the making of the quilt...and it would save you time and her money. Win-Win!
Old 09-30-2023, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
...........I'd suggest starting on doing the clipping on that, showing her how it's done and ask her to finish doing the clipping.This would make the work a part of her own and she might appreciate your time/talent more...........
Illinois ... Smart! Smart! Smart!!
Old 09-30-2023, 07:05 AM

The one and only time I made a quilt by request was for my cousin when she had the idea I could make a quilt for her grand nephew and perhaps one for any further nieces and nephews that came along. I was doing a bit of machine emboridery at the time and had a collection of designs that involved critters driving vehicles of different types. Well, I said yes but that she could come with me to the fabric store and pick out the fabric. Solids of various colors and a couple of fun prints for sashing, borders, and backing. She did, was surprised by the cost of the fabric, but paid for it (I did donate some of my stash to the project). Then I had requested that she also help me with the embroidery meaning she could pick out the colors of the thread from the thread chart, help me hoop the fabric, and also do some of the pressing as the quilt was assembled. That way, I could just keep the embroidery machine going. Well, it did turn out cute. But after it was done, she decided that it would be a quilt that would be passed down to the next child as they arrived. She had had enough of "quilting" Oh, and I did make a baby quilt for each of new ones that arrived, but not as time consuming.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:46 AM

Just to get an inkling, just ask what she had in mind to pay for the work you did. That could be your starting point.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:14 AM

I agree with Quilted Sunshine!
Old 09-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Every so often I get someone asking me would you make a quilt out of ________ for me and I'll pay for you. No matter who it is or what the quilt is for I know I don't want to make it. Unless you really want to make the quilt or do it for the pay then don't let heart strings tie you down. I have learned to say, No I don't do that type of quilt making but I know someone in my guild who does and she is very good. The cost will not be cheap so be prepared. I then change the subject.