Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
foundation for strip quilt >

foundation for strip quilt

foundation for strip quilt

Old 10-11-2023, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
CathyVV, you're right. They are flammable. I just set one on fire to make sure you were right. They both melt and flame.

New plan required.

bkay
Cotton fabric and batting (all types) are flammable too, as are most things that we wear or keep in our homes. The melting is more concerning. I wonder how poly batting would react to flames.
Old 10-11-2023, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

. You can use anything for a foundation just keep in mind the weight after sewing. A few of my earlier string pieced quilts are very heavy because I used muslin. I have sewn on used dryer sheets, they all are very thin poly and have the same flash point as poly interfacing if that worries you. Over the years I have given up the make do way of thinking and buy the best for me products. I use the Gypsy Quilter Scrap tape in the 13" wide strips for string piecing. It washes away.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-11-2023 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2023, 01:18 PM

I tried them once. ONCE. Even though they were used, the scent was way too strong to tolerate for long, and I am NOT a chemical or scent-sensitive person.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:30 PM

All polyester melts when exposed to flame, so polyester batting would melt. Come to think about it, I use 80/20 batting, so it would melt and flame anyway..

I don't find "Bounce pet hair" smell offensive. However, I'll put some in my pillow case and see if a bunch smells too "loud" for me.

Well, there are "make do" options, recycling options, frugal options and expensive options. Gypsy quilter 13" works out to $2.00 per 13" square if you buy from Quilt in a Day. I don't know if shipping is extra.That's a little steep for me.

I just want something I do not have to remove, but is not heavy. I'm not opposed to buying a product for this purpose, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money if I don't have to.

bk
Old 10-11-2023, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
CathyVV, you're right. They are flammable. I just set one on fire to make sure you were right. They both melt and flame.

New plan required.

bkay

So glad you checked!
Old 10-12-2023, 02:56 PM

We use uncented fabric dryer sheets. I'm saving them for a string quilt. Bonnie Hunter, Quilting Teacher, says she uses old phone book pages or unprinted news sheet paper. Of course, the paper has to come off. Just do it when watching TV.
Old 10-13-2023, 04:50 AM

I have two old yellow pages books from the 80's. I guess I could try a square and see how hard it is to remove the paper. I could still use it in a quilt with different foundation pieces. Hmmm......

bkay
Old 10-13-2023, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

Can I ask why foundations are necessary? I am only going by my own experience and my friend because we each made those 90 blocks and traded half so we would have a friendship quilt. All thin scraps - no issues. They were on the diagonal. One of my favorite quilts. What did we miss?
Old 10-13-2023, 08:06 AM

I don't think you need to have a foundation - I watched Jenny Doan sew her scraps together then cut them into squares or triangles - whatever shape she wants. She calls it making more fabric. Jenny said in the video that every day she sews scraps together to keep them from getting out of hand and warm up. when she has enough ssewn together he cuts them up into the shape she wants and makes a quilt. To me using the foundation can help keep it more organized. MSQC does sell the foundation papers - they are light weight and not expensive. I used them when making a web quilt.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 10-13-2023 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:44 PM

I check out old sewing patterns in thrift stores and buy the ones that are the thickest and full of pattern paper that can be cut up and used.