Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New fabric worth the price? >

New fabric worth the price?

New fabric worth the price?

Old 10-15-2023, 02:24 PM

If I need it to go with some of my stash fabrics, I buy it. I'm lucky that prices here don't seem to be that high yet. There's a sew and vac near me that opened a quilt shop a few years ago in half of their shop. The prices there have just recently gone up. I saw Free Spirit fabrics for $13.99 and $14.99. That's the most expensive fabric I've ever seen there.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Yep, that is one of my favorite places to shop....and I had been looking at their site every few days for weeks trying to find the greys and blacks I needed for my nephew son's quilt. Finally decided I need to be able to see the fabric in person as who knew there are so many shades of grey and black and some of them even clash with each other. So anyway, I am glad I at least found a good backing for this quilt at 50% off and was able to use the 5 yd black fabric in my stash. So I only had to buy 7 more yards at regular prices to get the two other greys I needed for the top and binding. I have enough batting and thread and a long arm in the basement.
Hancock's of Paducah is also good for having reduced prices with the more you buy of a full price fabric the more you can save, on a lot of their yardages. At times I've found fabric a bit on the ouch price range, but needed enough of it to lower the price by several dollars because of the amount of yardage I needed to buy. They are definitely my goto shop.

I also really like that they list how much of the fabric they have in stock. Nice to know when you need a certain amount of it. Their customer service is also really good. They called me one time and asked if it was okay if the yardage I wanted was in two cuts and the size of each cut, giving me the choice to accept or cancel if it wouldn't work.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 10-15-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
Suz, post a picture of the fabric you need. I bought quite a bit of poinsettias on black in the 90s.
Thanks for asking. I hope that this is ok to add to the thread. The scanner with my computer isn't working so I cannot post a photo, but I will describe the print that I am looking for as best I can. First off, it is shaded red poinsettias that are slightly darker toward the edges of the petals than in the center of them. They are on a dark solid black and there is no green in the print at all. There is gold metallic outlining the center vein and edges of the petals of the poinsettias.and silhouettes of holly leaves and berries twining thru the black background between the flowers. The flowers vary in size between 2 and 3" in diameter and have gold printed 1/2" centers that look like clusters of small circles. The flowers are spaced just over 1" apart. The fabric was purchased prior to 2015, but I haven't been able to locate my original sales slip, and don't remember where or when I purchsed it. All I have left are 2 small scraps that are less than 3 x3" and have no selvedge or maker marks on them. I am guessing that it may have been either a Hoffman or Timeless Treasures fabric, but that is pure speculation. I enlarged a tree skirt pattern made up of friendship braid wedges and when they were all done, I didn't have enough to complete the full circle. I have been asking everyone I can think of since 2017 if they have any fabric like that or have any additional information about it and have had no luck except one gal that happened to have one fat 1/4.for me. I will buy any size pieces of fabric that I can find that are over 3.75" x 7.5" or 3.75" squares. Yardage would be a dream come true!! haha I have auditioned adding alternate colored wedges between the finished ones and they all look like they were just slapped in to finish the tree skirt. Sorry that this so so long, but maybe someone out there has what I need and would be willing to part with this beautiful fabric.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:33 AM

I'm lucky that I live about an hour or so from Quilted Twins. Great for a road trip with friends! Other than that I don't buy fabric, I've been using my stash, and have been trading fabrics with some friends. Unfortunately our local quilt shop is going out of business. They have reduced the fabric by 25% but that is still expensive for me.
Old 10-16-2023, 06:06 AM

We have a store in Reno call Mill Ends. Not the newest fabric but good brands and the highest I've seen for Quilting cotton is 8.95 a yard. Fabric just cost to much. Must use my stash.
Old 10-16-2023, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
Thanks for asking. I hope that this is ok to add to the thread. The scanner with my computer isn't working so I cannot post a photo, but I will describe the print that I am looking for as best I can. First off, it is shaded red poinsettias that are slightly darker toward the edges of the petals than in the center of them. They are on a dark solid black and there is no green in the print at all. There is gold metallic outlining the center vein and edges of the petals of the poinsettias.and silhouettes of holly leaves and berries twining thru the black background between the flowers. The flowers vary in size between 2 and 3" in diameter and have gold printed 1/2" centers that look like clusters of small circles. The flowers are spaced just over 1" apart. The fabric was purchased prior to 2015, but I haven't been able to locate my original sales slip, and don't remember where or when I purchsed it. All I have left are 2 small scraps that are less than 3 x3" and have no selvedge.
One way to try is to take a pic on your phone and do a Google image search to see if it finds it…https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en
Old 10-16-2023, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

SueZQ, without a picture it will be hard to help you find the fabric. Do you have a phone that takes pictures? You can email the pic to your email and save it to your computer then post it here.
Old 10-16-2023, 09:15 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I stopped in today at my favorite LQS. New fabric was being put on the shelf. All of it was $15.99 to $16.99 a yard. Layer cakes were $48.99. I looked at the new fabric, beautiful, but I got to thinking. Is a quilt really worth the price of this fabric for me to buy it? My answer was No it is not.
As an exercise, you can use the CPI (consumer price index) and calculate relative dollar value going back and forth between years. I started quilting in 2013, so I compared your $15.99 per yard today to 2013 - it would have been $12.25 per yard back then. Looking at some of the fabrics I purchased in early 2013 from a LQS, they were in the $9.99 to $12.99 range. So fabric prices have slightly outpaced inflation, but not significantly.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
However, if it's the perfect fabric for a project, I might splurge. Last year, I found the perfect background for my Sunnyside Up class.
That is gorgeous!!! What is the name and manufacturer, if you don't mind?
Old 10-16-2023, 04:20 PM

Peaceandjoy -- your quilt is beautiful. The background fabric is the white one between the suns, right? It is perfect! Nice quilting on your quilt, too.