Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Recommendations Wanted! >

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 10-11-2023, 05:21 AM

Have I mentioned the Rain Wild series by Robin Hobb? I've read it four times In which, in a world either based far past or far future, DRAGONS! struggle to return to the world. With the help of throw-away people, hinderence by moneygrubbers, and generally 4 books full of thrilling adventures. Set in areas very like coastal and inland northern Washington, lower British Columbia.
https://www.amazon.com/Robin-Chronic...B00QTP7BJ8/ref
for some reason it says not available on kindle, but mine are on my kindle app.
Under this name she has written 4 series, all with very high reviews, I read the first book of the other three and wasn't entranced for some reason, although the Live Ship group preceeds Rain Wilds.

Have I mentioned I'm mad about dragons? I think St. George should have been crisped.
Old 10-11-2023, 06:54 AM

I put the very first Robin Hobb book on hold, as well as the first book in the Rain Wild series. Dragon Keeper should come well before Assasin's Apprentice.

For a dragon based series, I really enjoyed The Lady Trent Memoirs by Marie Brennon
https://us.macmillan.com/series/theladytrentmemoirs

I describe the books as sort of a steampunk version of Amelia Peabody by Elizabeth Peters (pen name of real Egyptologist Barbara Mertz) which I consider perfect "summer" reads. Not very long books in general, Amerlia is a doughty Victorian Egyptologist who gets in various adventures... Although there are murders and such,they are rather light hearted/low gore. In general, although I love Amelia Peabody, I haven't found the many other books as appealing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Mertz
Old 10-16-2023, 09:53 AM

Book reports: The first Dragon Keeper book dropped off hold almost immediately -- like 2 days instead of 3 weeks waiting. Holds are like that, they usually come in feast or famine. It took me a little to get into it, which was mostly adjusting to the narrator's voice, but it left me wanting for more by the end!

I've finished book 3 of the Longmire books and all of the tv series. I'm ok with there being differences between the two and am enjoying the books quite a bit more, but I really do like Lou Diamond Phillips as Standing Bear in the TV series.

After Longmire, we started watch the Joe Pickett series. I put book one back on hold because it's been a couple of years and 20+ books since the beginning. Again, I'm ok with differences but the actor for Nate Romankowski is just nothing like in the book. Am ok with the actor (but please take off the stupid headband) but it is about as miscast as Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Just not what the author had in mind.

Finished book two of the Arlis Cutter by Marc Cameron books in Alaska recommended in this thread. Will continue with those.

Also finished one of my on-going series, the latest Andy Carpenter book by David Rosenfelt, "Twas the bite before Christmas". Reasonably short books with a dog theme. I don't really like Andy all that much but I'm rather attached to some of the other characters.

Tonight's book I will be starting is The Great Leader a Detective Sunder by Jim Harrison book, set in Michigan's Upper Peninsula closer to the hubby's background than my Alaska years. If more holds don't drop in the next couple of days (I'm expecting a couple) it will be back to Robin Hobb and Dragon Haven.

Thanks all of you to the suggestions and contributions!
Old 10-19-2023, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
You might like Kyla Stone books one leads into another It starts with /edge of Collapse. I think there are 12 or 14
Thank you for this suggestion! I am busy listening and am currently on the third…..I have holds on the rest!
Old 10-20-2023, 01:09 AM

WOW!! Thanks to Ice Blossom for starting this thread and for all of you who responded filling eight pages! I also have insomnia and usually end up reading through the night. I had not thought of audio books much less how to get them digitally, duh, And to listen while I quilt on so many devices that I own. I now have a plan to try out audible and see if the audio books work for me in the middle of the night. I read on a kindle and borrow books from the library as well as buy from Amazon. My dear wonderful Daughter turned me on to borrowing from the library for my kindle.....she has done a lot to bring me into the 21st century - technically speaking. As I say all the time "what is out there that I don't know about that would make my life better?" Thanks to you I now understand what audible is and how to get it.
I loved the Longmire tv series and did not realize there was books too. Many thanks to all of you who offered your recommendations, some of them I have read and have re-read. I now have a new list of books to read, thank you all again.
I will offer one of my favorite series that I did not see listed in the thread. Sue Grafton's alphabet series. A if for Alibi, B is for Burglar, C is for Corpse, and down to Y is for Yesterday". She did not complete the series because she died of cancer in 2017 at age 77. Her books were about the adventures of private detective Kinsey Milhone who lived in Santa Teresa, CA and the first A is for Alibi was published in 1982.
many thanks again.
Murphy
Old 10-20-2023, 03:49 AM

Peace Like A River by Leif Enger and also So Brave, Young, and Handsome, Leif Enger

I started Peace Like a River and couldn't put it down
Old 10-20-2023, 06:34 AM

Nice to see another insomniac in the thread I wasn't so impressed with my old Kindle's audio options so ran it through an ipod home station that acts as my alarm clock/radio. My old iPod is no longer supported by either Apple or Overdrive, much less Libby. Now have a Galaxy tablet and am fine with the audio quality and volume. I use my library website on my computer where I can easily read and navigate the options. Once I have the book on hold or when it is ready, Libby is synched to where it automatically comes up on the tablet. Overall, I think Libby is an improvement over the Overdrive technology and is relatively easy to use.

Last night/this morning I listened to the latest Magical Cats book by Sofie Kelly, a series of cozy mysteries starring a librarian in Minnesota along with her townmates and a couple of (you guessed it) Magical Cats.

I've gone through a bunch of holds dropping on me and think I have some time to attend to a couple other books before I expect the next set of books I ordered months ago... Next up is book 2 of the Dragon series by Robin Hobb, Dragon Haven. Then I'll try another presumably cozy mystery, Murder Plain and Simple by Isabela Alan first in a series which is set in Amish country and includes a french bulldog and quilting... sounds like it will work for me!

For the less cozy type of thing but set in the Indiana Amish community, I like Linda Castillo's Kate Burkholder series. Kate left the Amish community but has come back as sheriff in her small town.
https://www.lindacastillo.com/amish_...er_series.html

Railroad -- Thanks for the reminder of Leif Enger, I have (because of this thread/your suggestion) listed to both Virgil Wander and Peace like a River -- just put So brave on my wish list to remind me!
Old 10-21-2023, 03:57 PM

I finished Starter Villain by John Scalzi last night and definitely give it 5 stars! Characters were interesting, including cats and others who could communicate. I thought I knew how it would end but Scalzi made sure it was a surprise. Loved it and would highly recommend.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:18 AM

I've seen Starter Villain recommended on a number of lists and have seen ads for the Audible book while watching Prime. Not available via my library, it is on my want to read list Wil Wheaton narrates, he has a nice voice, I've listened to him read his own books and others. I have read several other books from the same list(s) and can recommend them. Immediately coming to mind are Mort(e) by Robert Repino. Some people have objected to that series atheist moments...
https://slate.com/culture/2015/02/ro...-reviewed.html

Not so cat related, I also really enjoyed Hollow Kingdown by Kira Jane Buxton about a foul mothed crow and the zombie apocolypse in the Seattle area. For those from there, you quite likely have met the "Ikea Flock" of crows. I know they used to spend part of the day/year near the electrical contractor I worked for... In looking up the title, I found there is a second book I have't read yet -- now on my list! Again, some people object to the amount of language in this book -- but a crow only knows the words they are taught.
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/10/74945...p-to-the-crows

I've really enjoyed the Robin Hobb Rain Wild/Dragon books Kalama suggested. After my current book, The Other Side of Mrs Wood by Lucy Barker (about spiritualists in London near the end of the movement), I will listen to the 4th and final book of the Rain Wild books. I'd like the series to go on and on, but I can tell we are reaching a story climax.

I still have a lot of books recommended by this thread, and holds from 3-6 months ago coming avilable or being releases. Once again, my gratitude for the suggestions!

Old 10-29-2023, 05:17 AM

These are quite different (no dragons or Amish folk!) but I just loved them. Non-fiction.
"Following Atticus," by Tom Ryan. Man climbs mountains in NH, accompanied by his little dog. But it is so much more than that. He's a great writer.
Then I found his second book, "Will's Red Coat", about taking in an aged blind, deaf dog and caring for him in his last years. But not just caring, giving him a fantastic life.

If anyone likes dogs, I recommend both of these.