Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Jeweled Medallion >

Jeweled Medallion

Jeweled Medallion

Old 10-26-2023, 02:56 PM

Stunning quilting as usual. I've purchased only 1 kit in my life and luckily there was more than enough fabric. Problem was the person I was making this quilt for changed her mind from full to queen size quilt so I started pulling fabrics from my stash. Then the problem came when I got to border plus the gal died before I could finish the quilt for her. This was a gift to her. So I laid the quilt aside and worked on other quilts. I finally finished it a number of years later and got lucky enough to find 3 fat quarters of the border fabrice, just enough to finish the quilt.

Finally one of my old co-workers drove thru town, stopped by for lunch and saw the quilt flimsy hanging up, fell in love with it and asked to buy it from me. I told him I don't sell my quilts but I would finish it for him and he could pay for the shipping as it was going from Iowa to Florida. Took another year to get it quilted but he knew I had other obligations so wasn't in a big hurry for it. I decided to see if I had any more of the scraps leftover to make a quilt for his dog which I did and I used some of the border fabric in the blocks to use them up. He received the quilts, took photos of it on his bed so I'm assuming he was very happy with it.

But that was the one and only kit I ever bought and just got lucky I guess even when the quilt became larger than the pattern called for.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
Only 1 had issues and it was 2 yards short,
Wow, 2 yards is a LOT.

Originally Posted by materialworld View Post
I certainly wouldn't buy from Keepsake after your post.
It sounded like Kaufman was the guilty party here, not Keepsake. I didn't know manufacturers assembled kits though, so I could be wrong.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:56 PM

Dunster,
I'm so glad you posted about this kit. I too bought it due to loving the colors & pattern. I was concerned about shortages or corrections to the pattern. I did email & ask if there were any corrections & was told-"If there are any- they are on the web site" Not very gracious, but I had already purchased & received the kit, so I was committed. I have one more quilt ahead of this one to make & then I will begin. I am taking your warning to heart & will be VERY CAREFUL with the cutting.
Thank You so much for the heads up notice.
sewverybusy
Old 10-26-2023, 11:19 PM

Dunster,
As a delayed after thought---- Would you mind telling me where the problem areas are that you discovered??? I have looked the kit over, but usually don't find the problems until too late.
Can you save me from brain damage due to banging against the wall in frustration?
Old 10-27-2023, 02:52 AM

Those colors are beautiful. I can see why you bought the kit. I've only bought one kit. It had just enough fabric, no extra for mistakes. So, of course I made a wrong cut and had to buy a yard of fabric online (because I couldn't find it local ) just to get a 6 inch square.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:49 AM

Your quilting is inspirational. I look at kits all the time, but I've only purchased one or two over forty years of quilting. I bought it because the price was good and I liked the fabrics but I ended up using the pattern for another quilt and the fabrics for something entirely different.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:03 AM

Love the batiks! The quilt is just beautiful and you did some beautiful quilting.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:07 AM

You did an excellent job! Your quilting is just beautiful.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewverybusy1 View Post
Dunster,
As a delayed after thought---- Would you mind telling me where the problem areas are that you discovered??? I have looked the kit over, but usually don't find the problems until too late.
Can you save me from brain damage due to banging against the wall in frustration?
I will PM you later today with the major problems.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:27 AM

It is beautiful and your quilting is amazing. I know what you mean when you say you don't feel the same way as when you pick your own fabrics. That truly is a big part of the quilt; the colors that we choose to make it our own. I learn something new with every quilt I make...sounds like you do to