Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
tis the season... for pumpkin >

tis the season... for pumpkin

tis the season... for pumpkin

Old 10-31-2023, 07:06 PM

Default tis the season... for pumpkin

I happened to win a Guess-the-weight-of-the-pumpkin contest at work. and so I ended up with a 68 pound pumpkin to bring home.... oy. I made puree out of about 1/4 of it and the deers are still working on the rest. Still, that was a lot of puree. I made pumpkin toffee, pumpkin cake, pumpkin macaroni and cheese, and pumpkin apple muffins. I have more puree still that I plan on turning into a pumpkin quiche and some more traditional type pumpkin cookies.
What's your favorite pumpkin recipe?
Old 11-01-2023, 02:29 AM

I highly recommend sallysbakingaddiction.com for recipes of all kinds. I tried her pumpkin bar cookies last week and, while they were more cake than cookie, they were delicious! Some pumpkin baked things are too bland, but these had a hefty amount of spice - ginger, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon.
Old 11-01-2023, 02:45 AM

Pumpkin bread (like banana bread) is a favorite particular for gifting. It is flavorful, moist and pairs well with a dollop of whipped cream, butter for spreading, a cup of coffee, tea or a nice cold glass of milk. Even a side of rich vanilla ice cream.

I have used several different recipes each has been equally good. I suspect they would also freeze well.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:28 AM

Pumpkin bread with cranberries! Pumpkin bread with chocolate chips!
Old 11-01-2023, 04:48 AM

Just so you know, you can freeze the puree as my sister did and it's in my freezer as we speak. This year she's looking into making pumpkin powder where she can rehydrate it later 4 to 1. This would save even more storage room if it works.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:46 PM

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal. (Instant Pot - 6 quart)

Stir together, lock lid, close vent. Select manual & high setting and cook for 10 minutes.
1.25 cups steel cut oats
3 Tblsp brown sugar
1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
.75 tsp salt
3 cups water
1.5 cups milk 2%
When time is up, let pressure release on its own, then quick release remaining pressure. When pin drops, remove cover. Add 1 can 15 oz solid pack pumpkin. Stir to dissolve and let stand 5 to 10 minutes to thicken. Serve with half & half or 2% milk and toppings. (Optional toppings mixed in a small bowl: toasted chopped pecans, chopped walnuts, additional brown sugar and cinnamon.) Refrigerate leftovers and reheat in microwave.
Note: I use only 1 cup pumpkin or substitute mashed cooked squash because we have a lot of it. The rest of the pumpkin can be covered and refrigerated for a second batch.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:08 AM

Our Halloween pumpkins will be baked and pureed for our dog. He gets a tablespoon on his supper every night (good for digestion and fiber). I freeze in ziplock bags. I find that the large pumpkins are to bland and stringy for baking tho.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Just so you know, you can freeze the puree as my sister did and it's in my freezer as we speak. This year she's looking into making pumpkin powder where she can rehydrate it later 4 to 1. This would save even more storage room if it works.
Interesting! Let us know how the dehydrating works.

I usually make pumpkin bread with puree...or classic, pumpkin pie.

If you have any chunks left, try a Thai pumkin curry stew. I don'thave an exact recipe but here are some of the ingredients:

can of coconut milk
chicken broth
fish sauce
cubed pumpkin
onions, chopped
grated ginger
minced garlic
curry powder
Thai basil
crushed hot chili
chopped veggies of your choice
Old 11-07-2023, 05:46 AM

Here's another soup:

Roasted Pumpkin/Squash and Apple Soup

1 whole small pumpkin or winter squash cut into large chunks
3 apples, peeled and cored, cut in half
1 onion peeled, cut in quarters
2 T butter
2-3 C chicken broth or veggie broth

Your choice of seasonings s/a:
sage
cumin
nutmeg
salt
pepper

Your choice of condiments s/a:
sour cream
croutons
Pumpkin seeds
chopped scallions
bacon crumbles

Place pumpkin chunks on an oiled sheet pan and bake about 20 minutes at 350 F. Add the apples and onion chunks and bake until everything is soft and has a bit of brown color on the edges of the pieces. Allow to cool and remove pumpkin seeds and skin. Melt butter in a soup pot and add the ingredients from the sheet pan to it. Cook over a medium heat until you start to see some light browning. Add chicken broth and continue to cook until everything is very soft and is a rich golden color. Cool and then blend soup until smooth. Add seasonings of your choice. Heat back up and serve with your choice of condiments s/a sour cream, pumpkin seeds, bacon crumbles, etc.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:53 AM

My sister dehydrates or cooks hers down and then makes it into a puree for the freezer. She puts 2cups/15oz in each freezer bag so it's ready for most any recipe. This year she's trying the dehydrating and then making it into a powder which when you go back to use it, it's 4 parts water to 1 part powdered pumpkin. If your short on space this is the way to go. I've done it to my tomatoes and keep it in a canning jar in my pantry.

A friend of mine put some pumpkin into her chili and her hubby loved it not knowing it was pumpkin though.