Longarm Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 05:53 PM

Default Longarm Thread

Good evening! I'm going over the booklet for my q''nique
15R. It mentions to only use cone thread, not spools. My question is,
can I use Aurifil 1422 yard spools? They are larger than general
spools, but smaller to than cones. I appreciate any feedback.🙂
Old 11-01-2023, 06:09 PM

use what makes your machine happy. if it works, it works. it has to do with the way it comes off the spool, so you may find more breakage or tension inconsistences if its not per the manual recommendations
Old 11-02-2023, 07:00 AM

Ummmm....I think I would just get a couple of cones probably in pretty neutral colors. Those little spools of Aurifil are still pretty light and generally, long arms really can go fast. I think the thread on the cones will spool off more smoothly with the speed of a longarm. When I started, I used Superior's OMNI and SoFine. Now I mainly use the SoFine as I really like a thread that blends in with the quilt top. I also got what I call "Dusty" colors. As I found they blend in well with a lot of fabric. I like to use off white, cream, couple of shades of grey, dusty blue, dusty red.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:19 AM

You can add a horizontal spool holder to your machine and use the spools, but it would be more expensive. I do what Sewingpup does. Love SoFine thread! I've learned that polyester thread behaves better than cotton on a longarm.
Old 11-04-2023, 04:56 AM

Smile

Thank you! I purchased a cone of Aurifil, bu I'm also going to
order a cone of sofine as you suggest. I thought polyester would be
stronger. I'm totally new to this and appreciate all of your help🙂
Old 11-04-2023, 06:44 AM

The shop I bought my Handiquilter from also has machines you can rent time on and they primarily use Glide. I have purchased quite a few different colors and this thread works wonderfully and it is not overly expensive.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:25 AM

I know several longarm people. Most of them seem to use either SoFine or Glide. I do have some of each but honestly, I haven't used my Glide yet. I did try it and it stitches nicely. Glide is a bit shinier and SoFine has a more mat finish. One slight problem I found with Glide is that I have to make more tiny stitches to start and end as the stitches pull out a bit easier. Not a biggy!
Old 11-04-2023, 07:43 AM

I have a Handi Quilter Avante (my second longarm - my first was a Voyager). I tend to stick with Glide and Magnifico (from Superior threads) now but have a boatload of cotton thread cones from Connecting threads as my Voyager really liked that thread. I still use the cotton when I need the color but you will find that the cotton threads tend to leave your machine really linty. I have also gotten really lazy - I also order prewound Glide bobbins !!

Bottom line - purchase several types and see what works for both you and your machine. Each machine is different .... Can you use your aurafil? Yes - as per the aurafil site - they recommend that you use 40 wt rather than 50 wt. Good luck and let us know how it worked out!!
Old 11-04-2023, 08:42 AM

I find my Innova machine likes most any thread I throw at it including embroidery metallic threads. I can also use cone and/or spool too. Hopefully you'll find you can use both sizes too.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:05 AM

I did have a cone of 40 weight Aurifil I tried using on my APQS Lucey when I first got it. I did have some thread breakage with it and when I switched to OMNI that stopped. I haven't tried the Aurifil thread again as it is a bright grass green and I haven't needed that color. It perhaps would work better now that I have more experience on my long arm and seldom have thread breakage with SoFine. I have a queen-sized flannel quilt loaded and I am going to use OMNI as the top thread and SoFine as the bobbin thread. I haven't used this combo for a while but suspect it will just go fine. I may have to loosening my top tension as the OMNI is 40 weight. Actually, I have already loosened it about a half turn as I just checked the feel of pulling the thread through the needle and it seemed to pull a bit harder. LOL, now I will just have to stitch something out and checked how good my "Guess" was.