Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm and Cats "Sharing" the Quilts >

Long Arm and Cats "Sharing" the Quilts

Long Arm and Cats "Sharing" the Quilts

Old 11-02-2023, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltBaer View Post
I use bubble wrap!
My cat LOVES bubble wrap. Lol. She's a hoot.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:49 AM

Like Peckish, please be careful with your thread around cats. My cat had to have surgery, nearly lost her, because she chewed on thread and it wrapped around her intestines. I have to keep her out of my sewing room because she still has a fascination with thread. I miss her company in there, but love her too much to risk a repeat.

Old 11-02-2023, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

My white cat also loved to get into thread. I put pillow cases over my sergers to cover the threads. One time he got a thread wrapped around one of his toes. My granddaughter spotted it and we were able to remove it.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:12 AM
mkc

NZQuilter - do you quilt for others? If so, you should let them know of the cats coming in contact with the quilts. Those of us who are highly allergic would need to know, since this presents a hazard to us. It also would be an issue if you do quilt as a business and a client's quilt got damaged by them.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:25 AM

Well, if interested if you have plants you cats are getting into, I've put cayenne pepper around it on the dirt. It will deter them after they've gotten into it and then puked their guts. It doesn't hurt them or the plant. I've also cut out leftover plastic shelf liner (clear) to put around the plant on top of the dirt, that seems to deter them as they can't dig. I've also tried the crumpled up foil around the plant base, that also has worked for me. The rest of the plants are up high enough they can't get to them.

For my quilt frame, the windshied covers have worked out well. When I'm done for the day, I bring up the batting and any fabric that's flapping downward up over the belly bar and then lay the windshield covers over them. They should be tall enough to reach the back bar too. If they get onto the table underneath, they don't seem to bother the backing. Cat #2 when still a kitten taught me to keep everything up out of her reach when I'm done for the day. So far they haven't bothered my bolts or folded fabrics on the shelves. I've made curtains from flat sheets to put over all my spools of threads as they're in their reach too. Once in awhile I might find one of my spools rolling on the floor but not often.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:32 AM

My DD had plastic spoons' handle end stuck in the dirt to deter kitty digging around plants. The rounded end sticks up above the ground deterring your digger without harm.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:12 PM

Great tips for my kitties. Thank you! I'll definitely keep on eye out for threads and I'll make sure to throw loose threads away. I wouldn't have thought of that! And, as someone hear mentioned, yes, kitties are like super fast toddlers! I'm hoping that they grow up to be peaceful, placid and sweet cats. I'll try bubble wrap on the quilts.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
We recently acquired two house kitties, both sisters about 12 weeks old. They are everywhere and getting into everything! And then right when I'm about to get mad at them, they curl up in my lap and pass out, all cute and sweet. Anyway, my question is, how do I keep them off my long arm? They play/ sharpen their claws on the leaders, walk upside-down on the poles, pull at the side clamps, mess with the batting... And then fall asleep on the quilt iself! Any tips? Or do I just need to live with it? I can't close any doors or anything since my long arm is in the front foyer and main walking space of the house.
I have a squirt/spray bottle near by and shoot them every time they are near the quilt area. They now avoid the quilt frame etc.
it took about 6 month's to train them.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
I have a squirt/spray bottle near by and shoot them every time they are near the quilt area. They now avoid the quilt frame etc.
it took about 6 month's to train them.
I started out with a squirt bottle, but sometimes there are items nearby that I don't want to get wet. So I picked some canned air, the kind you use to blow dust out of your keyboard. She doesn't know the difference, it works great. 😁🐈