Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 11-02-2023, 11:32 AM

I agree Ice Blossom. Fabric prices are getting out of my comfort zone too. I have been using up fabric instead of purchasing. I find that I need neutrals most of all. I am so excited about starting this quilt. With it being three almost equal colors and white. I went out today and purchase the lighter shade of blue. Everything else Ole Miss colors. (red/blue) So one more Ole Miss quilt in the making for me.
Old 11-03-2023, 04:16 AM

Following to see all the colour replacements....hoping to have enough time to join in the fun🌷💫
Old 11-03-2023, 05:50 AM

I am hoping Happylab or someone explores different color ways. I am pretty certain this year that I just have so much dark and light blue yardage that it won't be me. But I did find a large piece of a rather lovely more cinnamon brown than red with a creamy gold design that could be awesome with slightly changed colors (especially going more cream/tan in the neutrals).

I was able to spend some time going through the stash yesterday, both for the mystery and to look for some things for my new sewing group. One of the members is looking for some "French" fabric, I know I did have some Paris in pink from a couple of years ago when I was collecting travel fabrics but I don't think that made the move. I think I have some wine themed fabric that may have French vintage names and grapes. Don't think it is French enough but I did find a great true red background with small black poodles in sort of a 50s style, I've kept that out if I use red prints for the mystery quilt.

I did find my solids box but no single red piece large enough for the mystery. If I feel secure enough, I might be able to use them in sets or in centers, but I am concerned about if a true red is touching a more orange- or blue-red.

Today I will be going back to the stash looking for reds to audition. I've found a couple of reds that are probably a bit short of what is needed that I would really like to use as a single fabric, will measure to double check. I've found one print that would work and is big enough, and of course, I have enough scraps to go that direction. I am leaning towards using one print or the multiple solid reds.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:34 AM

Hey all,
I'll be lurking and printing the clues, but won't be working on it until after the New Year. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing. Thanks for hosting Iceblossom!

Rob
Old 11-03-2023, 10:18 AM

Hi everyone! This will be my 14th Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt! Last year I only made half the blocks, and by adding an additional one, I had a nice size lap quilt. I just don't need any more large quilts!!! Out of the 13 I have completed, I still have four I need to quilt. So I will be doing only half of the blocks this time as well.

On top of this, I am scheduled for another partial knee replacement in early December. It is for my left knee, so I should be able to sew after a couple of weeks. That will put me behind, but I am okay with that! It will be fun to be part of this group!

I have missed the Mystery Train Rides, and Farmer's Wife Quilt alongs we use to go on too!!

Here is a photo of the fabrics I have pulled out of my stash for Indigo Way:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Indigo Way Fabrics.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	646239  
Old 11-03-2023, 10:34 AM

I'll be joining in this year, but haven't had time to pull fabrics - maybe this weekend. Probably won't align with BH's colors but I won't know until I shop my stash. It will be interesting to see Bonnie's design this year. Her colors remind me more of an American colorway - red, white, and blue. Looking forward to sewing with everyone. This group really makes the BH mysteries fun.
JeanieG - love your navy print.
Iceblossom - thanks for hosting!
Old 11-03-2023, 11:55 AM

You have some very pretty light blues there, JeanieG.

Those fabrics Bonnie shows in the intro are so intricate. I'm very curious as to what she has up her sleeve this year!
Old 11-04-2023, 07:51 AM

Here's my stack of red solids and the leading single piece of red print which tends to the orange side a bit but is sufficient yardage. It is a Hoffman with a light gold tracking that is very soft. I know some people don't like metallics and that some can be scratchy -- not an issue with this piece. I don't know why the close-up picture didn't take, will try again later. The design is made up of parasols but they are not very obvious and are roughly quarter sized.

I am leaning towards the mixed red solids, but have some reservations about if the different reds will touch. I will have to make a guess with the first couple of clues before I commit fully one way or the other -- or if I put together the red prints for a third option.

I have quite the stack of indigo/dark navy pulled. Haven't started with the light blues yet but I found the tote! I also found the missing Bah Humbug! white script on red background I wanted to use in my Christmas string project before it was too late to incorporate it into the top. That will be my sewing today/this weekend, want to get the triangles of that done to take to group on Tuesday to trim and remove the paper foundation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	reda(1).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	942.0 KB
ID:	646241  
Old 11-04-2023, 10:16 AM

Oh just love that parasol fabric Iceblossom!
Old 11-04-2023, 04:28 PM

I was going back and forth on whether I wanted to take on a new project right now, and decided I’d wait for the colour reveal to decide if I wanted to participate.
Well I have plenty of fabric in all the right colours, so I tentatively decided I’d join in.
But now I’m thinking more about the rulers. I’m really not interested in investing in new rulers right now. So I’ll wait for the clues, see if I can reasonably make it with rulers I already have, and work on it at the end. Not the funnest way to do this, but I gotta have a LITTLE BIT of discipline!