Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thick felt for design wall? >

Thick felt for design wall?

Thick felt for design wall?

Old 11-04-2023, 03:09 AM

Default Thick felt for design wall?

My original order of 5 yards of 108" white flannel from Missouri Star fell through. as they said their inventory was incorrect or couldn't find the item in question. My money was refunded. I've looked at other sites and some want well over $20 a yard for their white flannel that is 108". No way! Yesterday while in Hobby Lobby I spied a heavy white felt that was wide, but not 108". Still $6.99 a yard if I recall right. I'm wanting enough to wrap over the frame we're making, think of enclosing it in a super large pillow case. Would this felt work as well as flannel? Has anyone used felt for this purpose?
Old 11-04-2023, 04:36 AM

I tried felt in the beginning, with the same idea $$ as you. Nothing stuck to it. I think in bible school, they used felt pieces on felt
I have also pieced my working wall flannel and wasn't happy with it at all. Although that was the gridded stuff that some designer was pushing at the time.
Save your pennies (look at all that fabric on your shelves you bought and haven't used!) and get the right tool for the job.
When I was away from home for several years, I pinned batting (warm and natural) to the living room wall and it worked very well.

whatever you use put it on tight-ish as you'll want to roll it with masking tape, they get really thready.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Monday all fabric on the bolt will be 40% off at Hobby Lobby for a week. It goes on sale every other week. Buy the felt then. I stock up on interfacings, muslin, and Kona. Every other week I buy one yard of two different color Kona. I have almost every color. My first deign wall had thick felt and it worked fine. I used gray felt so all the light colors would show better.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:16 AM

Linda, I just checked and there is some gray here on sale, the reverse side would probably be considered a neutral?
https://backsidefabrics.com/collections/on-sale-now
Old 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

LindaSchipper ....Have you considered fleece? I've used it for all of my design walls. Tried the plastic/flannel tablecloths, felt and flannel before concluding fleece was the best, Plus it would give you a bit of a stretch when putting on your frame. Have never regretted the fleece.

OneByOne mentioned grey as a possibility. I have preferred black after seeing many white/cream walls that look filthy with time. Maybe they aren't, but they sure look so. The black fleece wipes threads off easily with a lint brush. I have at times put on chalk lines to help with layouts.

I don't want to be Negative Nelly here, but like many others have already said, I see a lot of questions that may mean the result may not be as positive as you are optimistically looking towards. It could mean a lot of $$$$ spent without giving you that return on investment for happy sewing that you want! I hope we are all wrong.

Good Luck with your project!
Old 11-04-2023, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I have felt on my design wall. It's sturdier than flannel and less likely to stretch out of shape. It's also good for practicing longarming without the need to construct a practice quilt sandwich.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:39 AM

I was given 3 rolls of plastic on top and flannel on back. Think tablecloth materials. I used it to make a design wall and to line tote bags. Still have plenty more!
Old 11-05-2023, 04:24 AM

Quilted Twins in Dade City, FL has 108" wide flannel for $7.99 a yard. Type in 108" flannel in the search box on their web site.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:00 AM

Don't forget about flannel backed tablecloths. The one I take to retreats is a plaid, so I can even see the 2" grid marks on the back. by the way, it has to be the heavier ones, (not $tree). I got mine at Ollies.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:01 PM

I have tried everything - flannel, flannel-backed tablecloths, felt, fleece... the thing I found that works best is Warm & Natural. I don't even need to pin stuff until it gets really big, such as 3 or 4 rows all sewn together. Even waggy doggy tails don't knock the blocks off.