Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 11-09-2023, 09:57 AM

WMUTeach, I hate that you are not able to get around right now. I hope it is an easy issue to resolve. The silver lining is lots of sit down quilting time, right? Do you have someone there to fetch whatever you need from the other rooms? Are you eating well? Don't forget your fluids! Bit hugs.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:43 PM

WMUTeach, I hope you get some answers from your doctor and that you see improvement soon. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:12 PM

ibex, I did spend some time this afternoon in front of the sewing machine with my zoom quilters group. And adding a binding to a quilt this evening while watching a documentary movie. Sadly, I am finding that this teaching thing is taking that I love so much is taking up too much of my time, but I like the $$$ and I like the students. I usually reserve weekends to sew, but lately it has been one day sewing and one day grading.

Doctor has no determination of what the problem is. Hopefully in a day or two. I asked a neighbor to bring in my walker from storage, (broken pelvis 7 ears ago). So that makes me feel more confident moving about the house. I cancelled my class today because the building is difficult to get around if you need any assistive devise.

Never worry about me eating, I enjoy food too much to go without for long. I drink lots of water, tea and then more water with an occasional mug of raspberry hot cocoa. Time to call it a night and to take advantage of the pain medicine. ZZZZZZZZ
Old 11-10-2023, 12:14 PM

happylab, I mailed your package last Friday. It looks like you haven’t received it yet. If you don’t have it by the middle of next week I’ll send another.
Old 11-11-2023, 04:41 PM

@WMUTeach I received the loveliest treat in the mail today! I oohed, I ahhed, I showed it off to my husband and of course to Spice since showing off his handsome fuzzy face was what got me this prize!

I don't know which part of the gift I liked the most: the pins--so handy!--the tape measure--I needed one!--the clips--strong little grippers!--or the paper piecing patterns--wait, how did you know this is a quilting skill I'm longing to work on?

But wait, no, maybe my favorite part is the little bag itself, so beautifully made inside and out, at a level of skill this fellow quilter certainly recognizes and appreciates...

I'm blown away.

Thank you so much for sponsoring the contest and this swap, which has brought so much joy to me throughout the year.

You're the best!
Old 11-11-2023, 10:28 PM
Power Poster

WMUT, I hope your walking problems get resolved soon. It's good you already had the walker.

Congrats to the prize winners! Sounds like the prizes were great.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:10 AM

Thank you for the kind thoughts, Swappers. I am getting about much better. Diagnosis is a demineralization of my lower spin that is causing stress on my hip that has evidence of increased arthritis. I have not had a direct conversation with my doctor since the imaging because of the weekend. Hopefully tomorrow. A prescription for an anti-inflammatory medication, sleep, sweet sleep and PT should get me going again without the walker. It was pretty scary when I could not walk enough to get to the building on campus to teach my class on Thursday. How did folks long ago suffer through these kinds of events as the body ages? Painful!

I have been doing plenty of mental planning of ways to use my 2.5's and another deep dive to use my stash this coming year. So many good ideas scattered through our year of swapping. Love it, love it, love it.

Ta-Ta for Sunday morning and enjoy your day.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:27 PM

At last a diagnosis!! Now you can plot your healing and repair. Long ago, there were great drugs like opium to help folks get through the pain. And don't forget all the snake oil loaded up with alcohol! And mercury based medicine.... Today you can use cbd oil to dull the pain :-). I wonder how your quilts will look after all the pain killers....

I am going to share my experience with megadoses of ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory with you as a cautionary tale. 800+ mg/day puts me into a deep chemical depression (suicidal deep). I can take naproxen, thankfully, but something about the formulation of ibuprofen is not good for my body. Whatever they put you on, if you find yourself more depressed than you expect, it is likely a chemical depression and you need to call the doctor to change your prescription.

Remineralization... hmmmm. I hope that process is easy and fast. CVS makes a good Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement. Clear it with your doctor! When you start taking new meds, everything interacts differently. We need you dancing down your academic hallways.

Old 11-13-2023, 11:54 AM

Long term high doses of NSAID’s cause kidney failure. I still have enough function to avoid dialysis. And 7% function has returned-miracle. I’m very vigilant about NSAID Rx (every dr prescribes it) and using anti-inflammatory lifestyle. There’s an excellent mag out right now: EatingWell Anti-inflammation.

just precautionary information.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:55 PM

Thank you for the information ibex94 and petthefabric. The medication does seem to help with the pain, because it reduces inflammation. Not a long term med only for 30 days and then re-evaluate the whole thing including PT. I try to stay away from ibuprofen and all of its cousins except occasionally meaning once or twice a month as needed. Rest easy ibex94, no impact on quilting because it does not cause dizziness or fuzzy brain. Once a day and lasts for about 20-22 hours.

I did do some sewing this weekend. Finished my Boom Blocks and got the binding on my Pladish quilt. Now I am on to finishing a baby quilt that must be done in by Thanksgiving right down to the label. Busy, busy, busy. Yes, it is using up some 2.5's. Pictures later