Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend—November 9-13, 2023 >

Virtual quilting weekend—November 9-13, 2023

Virtual quilting weekend—November 9-13, 2023

Old 11-11-2023, 06:12 PM

aaahley333– that’s as good a reason as any to organize!

karamarie—have fun in Branson

Rff1010–maybe he’ll like it better when it’s made? Or could you use it on guest bed?

Finished a couple more small projects today and worked on a couple others. I was making scalloped placemats (pattern by Poorhouse). I’m confused by one step so will need to watch a video and figure I’ll just wait until I’m home. Will check back in tomorrow afternoon after I get home.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:22 PM

Yeah! Finally got my Ugly monster flannel quilt quilted and off the frame and trimmed. Now onto the binding! I just did a fairly large freehand meander on it. Just want to be soft and fluffy and hold together. It is heavy. I will have to measure it. I think prequilting it was 100 by 100 so a bigging. Should be a bit smaller after the quilting and again after I wash it as it is flannel.
Old 11-12-2023, 02:39 AM

I am putting on a flange binding on a baby quilt. I love to machine stitch the binding to baby quilts and like the look of the flange.
I made the binding 2 1/4" this time because I didn't have enough flange fabric for my 2 1/2" binding I usually use. I read on a blog that this was an option, however I prefer the wider binding because its easier to work with when flipping it over to the front to stitch in the ditch beside the flange. Lesson learned. Have fun with your quilting adventures...I always learn what Not to do with every quilt I make.
Old 11-12-2023, 04:32 AM

Update: I finished quilting the small baby quilt and went on to load the next quilt on the longarm. I'm trying to use up bits and pieces of leftover batting so that means I piece the batting but having some fairly large leftovers, I only needed one seam.(Yay!)
Old 11-12-2023, 04:41 AM

Sunday morning update. No blocks made yesterday but some work on the binding. My son stopped by yesterday afternoon, unexpected but welcome of course. He was here to pick up a quilt I had repaired for him and his wife. So while chatting, I stitched away on the binding. A pleasant two for one in my book. I spent most of the day doing work for my part-time teaching job hoping to clear the decks so I can sew this afternoon and evening. Looks promising.

It is such fun hearing of other folks progress and finishes. Hope to add my name to the list later today. Fingers crossed and needle ready. .
Old 11-12-2023, 06:14 AM

Yesterday, I pulled out the roll of flannel-backed plastic table-clothy fabric to make a garment bag that was presented at guild meeting. Super cute! I will try different types of fabrics that I have: upholstery, faux leather, indoor/outdoor, quilted? I like to take a pattern and stretch the envelope!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hanging tote.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	646300  
Old 11-12-2023, 06:26 AM

digging thru quilts i made up a long time ago and found this one
https://cluckclucksew.com/2018/04/ea...-tutorial.html
easy to sew. i used an ugly layer cake probably why i never finished it...lol
Old 11-12-2023, 08:23 AM

I'm in,albeit late. Working on a mini quilt of a bird that my group is doing for a local nursing home. ((They are going to be mug rugs.) Also finishing the sashing and last round of blocks for a Project Linus Christmas quilt.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:40 AM

I got all of my blocks sewn and pressed. Normally I layout even very scrappy tops and number the blocks, but this time I'm going to save pinning the blocks together at my Tuesday group and just trying to avoid matching any fabrics as well as trying to not have the same two fabrics in the "spiderweb" part touching or not. It is so busy I don't think it matters or you will see it even if it does happen.

Once the blocks are together I will find out what size of top I have! I added one block each width and length from the original, and while I trimmed the triangles consistently I didn't trim to a nice even measurement so I have a guesstimate but will need to take "as-built" measurements. Then I have an inner white fabric 4" (finished) border, and finally a 6" outer string pieced border that still needs to be pieced.

A couple of years ago on the Bonnie Hunter mystery "Grassy Creek" she had us do a diagonally pieced string border which I really liked... for this one though, I think a more vertical (with some variation) border will work better, think I will miter the ends and get some diagonal in that way.

I had cut a lot of squarish pieces that turned out to be about 1/2" smaller than usable for the points of the triangles. I'm going to combine the small squares with more solid reading prints of the same shade -- that is, red with red, white with white, etc. just so I can use up my mistakes. I'll mix those into the outer border. So should I choose to do more sewing this virtual weekend, that will be the next step. I'm debating whether or not I'll bother with the paper piecing, I think it does help overall and it hasn't been bad removing the paper. Using a tiny stitch and the 1' wide parchment paper from the dollar store and it has been coming off very easily.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:04 AM

I’m working on three scrap quilts. I’m almost finished free motion quilting a queen sized for my sister. This one is top priority since she’s coming into town next week. I need ro make binding for another scrap top. Im not as fast as many on the this board are so if I finish these I would feel quite productive. If a miracle happened and I finished these I’d like to get to a large blue and white scrap quilt I started some time ago. I just realized I have almost enough units to build the blocks. Happy sewing to you all.