Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Roasting Your Own Pumpkins >

Roasting Your Own Pumpkins

Roasting Your Own Pumpkins

Old 11-18-2023, 10:50 AM

Default Roasting Your Own Pumpkins

Do you roast your own pumpkins for making your "punkin pie? " I'm roasting mine this morning. I just took them out of the oven and the house smell divine! I'm actually roasting a variety of small pumpkins and squashes because our pumpkin crop didn't happen this year. I've got a butternut, a couple of small Kabochas and a Delicata. I just roast them whole after stabbing them a couple of times with a knife. I find it easier to separate the flesh from the seeds and skin. I won't make the pie until Wednesday night, or Thursday morning. The crust has to be crisp and fresh.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:12 AM

Microwave works too! Stab them first.

Erma Bombeck has a hilarious story about her Mother-in-law and her husband who insisted that his mom made the best pie. Erma tried for years to duplicate it only to be told it wasn't as good as Mom's who wouldn't share her secret. I forget exactly but I think one year Erma was taking out the trash from Thanksgiving and the bag broke open and she found the can of Libby Pie Filling (not even canned pumpkin, pre-spiced and sweetened).

Now that we moved, we are about one town over from Morton -- home of Libby where they prepare most of the world's supply of canned pumpkin. We did go to the Morton Pumpkin festival or at least went through while it was going on.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:21 PM

Last year, I prepared pureed pumpkin for Joe, our dog. He gets a tablespoon every evening on his kibble (that was when the price of canned pumpkin skyrocketed and it has kinda stayed up there) I microwaved it and it took quite a bit of time and attention.

This year, I decided to try the oven method. Take one Halloween sized pumpkin (Joe doesn't care that it's not a pie pumpkin), seed and chop into hunks. Put in an oven safe pan, container,roaster or whatever, cover tightly with foil and bake at 300 degrees for 2-3 hours (depending on how full your container is). Cool, remove the skin and mash. It is absolutely Joe approved. He does the happy dance for his supper every night.

BTW a large can of pureed pure pumpkin costs upwards of $6 here. For $6 I got 3 Halloween sized pumpkins that will give me enough frozen puree to last Joe close to a year.

Last edited by GingerK; 11-18-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

I haven't but am open to it.
Old 11-19-2023, 03:19 AM

I like roasting pumpkins and other hard-shelled squashes because cutting them up before cooking seems dangerous to me. How many women have to go to the emergency room due to slips of the knife during wrestling with squashes at this time of year? I also think roasting brings out the sweetness of the squash.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:20 AM

My sister bakes/roasts her pumpkins she had as decorations on her front porch, then purees it before measuring out 16oz/2 cups to put into freezer bags, flattens it out so it takes up less room. This way we can use this pumpkin all year round in recipes. This year she's trying out the method to turn it into powder after baking. She's already baked it but hasn't had time to put it thru her food processor. She read 4 parts water to 1 part pumpkin for recipes. I dehydrate tomatoes and then put them thru my food processor until they're a chunky grind, keep in canning jars in the pantry. Works to thicken up tomato sauces that seem to be a bit runny.
Old 11-19-2023, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I like roasting pumpkins and other hard-shelled squashes because cutting them up before cooking seems dangerous to me. How many women have to go to the emergency room due to slips of the knife during wrestling with squashes at this time of year? I also think roasting brings out the sweetness of the squash.
I agree...it is dangerous! That's why I don't cut mine before I bake them. It's much easier to peel and scoop out the seeds after they're baked.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I was given 2 about 8 inch pumpkins after Halloween this year. It is easier to roast then in the oven and scrap out the pulp but I did it the hard, dangerous way. I used my carving knife to half, scrapped out the seeds for roasting and then cut the halves into about 1 inch slices. I then use my peeling knife to remove the skin. I roasted 1 half in the oven for supper ( delicious) and cut the others into chunks for the freezer. I did a batch of Pumpkin cookies from Tipper’s site Celebrating Appalachia. I thought about all the pumpkins that go to waste when they can be used in place of squash.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:45 PM

I used to have trouble cutting squash. Then I got the hammer out. I have a long knife that I use the hammer to get it started then tap on each end until I'm through. Have not had a problem since. The squash is on a towel so it doesn't slip. It's even husband approved!
Old 11-20-2023, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
I used to have trouble cutting squash. Then I got the hammer out. I have a long knife that I use the hammer to get it started then tap on each end until I'm through. Have not had a problem since. The squash is on a towel so it doesn't slip. It's even husband approved!
Ha ha! Of course he approves...ya got a big ole hammer in your hands.