Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You know that rumor that CT is discontinuing Essential Pro thread? >

You know that rumor that CT is discontinuing Essential Pro thread?

You know that rumor that CT is discontinuing Essential Pro thread?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:48 AM

I just purchased some of their Pro Essential threads too with their last sale. Shucky Darn!!!! I also have some of their variegated threads but only 1 spool so I haven't been using it for that very reason. Seems they keep changing their colors too as at one time I was in the market for a "plum" color and they no longer carried it so I put out a request to anyone that no longer needed theirs for me to buy it off them. I paid double the price to have enough of this particular color and then on one of their sales, they were offering the same color. DRAT!!!!!!! Oh well, at least I have enough plum. Also, their customer service gal told me that you can tell which colors they're going to discontinue as they put an asterick next to it on your order form. I ordered more of those colors this last time.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:21 AM

That is not good news. CT has always been one of the most economical places to buy thread and fabric. I went overboard a few years ago and have a large supply of thread so for once my spending may have paid off.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
That is not good news. CT has always been one of the most economical places to buy thread and fabric.
I just want to clarify- this is only for Essential PRO? Essential is still going to be available, right? I think -most- people use Essential, though I certainly feel bad for those losing Pro.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:19 PM

I'm sorry to hear the Pro is going away. I quilt everything with Essential - sure hope they don't change that! I was afraid that somehow the poly thread would eventually put too much stress on the cotton fabric - is that possible, or do I just worry too much?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Poly does not stress cotton fabric -- at least the poly made these days. See this video by Superior Threads:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2m78sqrCyw
Old 11-24-2023, 06:50 PM

And here we are in 2023, the cotton Essential thread by CT is still very much alive! The polyester Essential PRO however appears to be going fast. There are not many colors in stock.