Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 11-27-2023, 11:06 AM

you know we will put our quilt shops out of business if we quit buying
Old 11-28-2023, 01:37 AM

Took my Christmas scraps from a project, cut 5" squares and am making coasters. Not really a moratorium but they are cute and will be a nice addition to gifts this year. I'm thinking of writing names like gift tags with Frixion pen. And showing recipients to iron off and reuse.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:15 AM

Just got the heads up for my quilt groups 2024 quilt along and it came with a challenge to use only our scraps. It works for me but I like to "control my scraps" for a more cohesive look to my scrappy. Likely will purchase background only to add some consistency.

In response to Newbee3, I agree we could have an impact on quilt shops if quilters never shopped. But the intent of this thread is to encourage us to shop our stash first THEN go the quilt shop if we don't have what we need. For years I had a pretty generous stash and have been working on using it, reducing it and send it out the door as a quilt to keep someone warm. Now my purpose is shifting just a bit to not leave my family with the burden to what to do with a room of bins filled with fabric when I am gone. So, I shop my stash first. That perspective also forces me to to think in new directions with new colors combinations. For the past few years, I find myself shopping for backing and backgrounds only. I don't forbid myself from shopping, I just consider what is on hand first.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:31 AM

I did my part for many years to keep stores in business! To everything there is a season, now is my season to use the fabric I bought so many years ago.

Today at sewing group I will be working again on the string border of the Christmas String project, while our contractor is here working on building the closets for all that fabric I bought and moved...
Old 11-29-2023, 04:21 AM

I just used almost 5 yards from my scrap bucket but had to purchase 3 yards of backing. I'm not sure if using 5 and buying 3 means I have a net loss of 2 yards but I'm claiming a loss so it doesn't matter to me. LOL I haven't been all that good this year about not buying more to add to the stash - sigh. Maybe 2024 will be my year of a larger stash reduction. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-29-2023, 05:31 AM

I found what helped me most was keeping a Fabric IN and a Fabric OUT list month by month. No spread sheets or calculators, but just a simple list that have kept in a spiral notebook in my sewing room. Some months it is a break even, other months much better than that. To me being accountable sure does keep me motivated. By the end of October 2023, I had nearly 100 yards OUT and about 20 yards IN. Not all 'OUTS" were finished quilts. Some was fabric I donated to someone else or an organization. Most OUTS were finished quilts for Project Linus. Bottom line, OUT means no longer in my sewing room. IN means purchased or picked up from give away tables or given to me by from dear friends who give UFOs and such to me "because I sew".

Just an idea that has worked for me. It has taken a couple of years to fall into the rhythm of loosely tracking my IN and OUT but I like seeing the numbers change month by month. My accountability group? Online, via My Carolina Home Stashbuster Challenge. Low pressure and everyone is just like us, it fact some are ....us
Old 11-30-2023, 05:03 AM

WMUTeach, I have found I need the accountability to keep me moving in the right direction. I think I use your method via the internet. My guild is also hosting a Finish It Club this year. Between the guild and My Carolina Home, maybe it will keep me on track. Maybe.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:35 AM

I plan to jump in next year. Since I received my sister’s stash this year, it becomes stash for me next year. I’m debating on if I want to buy new fabric- precuts or just use my stash for the BD swap next year. It will probable be a combination of both. If I get several projects done that I plan to complete.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:17 PM

Going out of business sale! All of December disposable income spent. So much fun. After 2 yrs shopping have new Bernette serger.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:03 AM

I am proud of myself! My new sewing groups meets at a public library and from time to time we have visitors popping by to see what we are doing. Last week there was a mom and her two home schooled kids who go to the library on our work day. She asked if it would be ok for her to bring some fabric to donate to us and we said of course! Yesterday she brought in a bunch of yardage (maybe 100 yards) that had been collected mostly by her mother. All sorts of colors and themes and mostly 1-3+ yards but some smaller pieces. Her goal was to pass as much on as she could... I did take a couple of pieces, some smaller Christmas prints I can use now in my Christmas string quilt border, and a couple of larger neutrals because I am very low on neutrals... I didn't take all the neutrals (not by a long shot), I passed on a bunch of purples that I would have normally loved to collect but don't have any plans, and also passed on some greens that weren't in the color range I am allowing myself to collect right now.

Ok, I do sort of regret I didn't just snatch up all the purples but I have learned to live with regret!