Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Decorative stitches >

Decorative stitches

Decorative stitches

Old 11-27-2023, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Mostly it depends what mood I am in I guess. I do use the double buttonhole stitch with rayon thread on most of my fusible machine appliqué, or a satin stitch if it’s going to be washed frequently. I have tried and played with all the stitches by making samples when I first got the machine.
I also enjoy using the Serpentine stitch and adjust the widths/lengths until it works for me. I have used the lettering for labels but actually prefer to handwrite mine with Pigma pen for a more personal feel.
I do like options though 😀
Your mention of labels gave me an idea. Even though I don’t have any alphabet stitches, I could see doing a decorative stitch around the label to appliqué it onto the quilt.

All of you are coming up with lots of creative ideas I hadn’t thought of! Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 11-28-2023, 03:24 AM

I love decorative stitches! My Bernina 830 only had 18 choices, so I acquired the Bernette this summer for more decorative stitches. I use them on bindings, knowing that it requires patience. I stitch in intervals because it's monotonous. I also use double and triple needles, especially with a serpentine stitch and metallic thread! Pinterest has some quilts worth checking out.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:46 AM

Straight stitches for me. I don't even use the simple zig-zag very often. If I want a serpentine, I create that "look" by moving the fabric free motion style. I will use that method particularly on "busy" fabrics where it blends into the fabric beautifully. All the extra stitches available on my machine are dormant and just are not even considered. Like others, I looked for a machine that had the minimum fancy stitches but found it impossible to find a simple straight stitch machine without going vintage.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
Like others, I like to use the deco stitches on binding, quilting, crazy quilts and an occasional special project ...like a place mat or coaster set or potholder...like that.

On my bucket list for next year is making and mailing postcards. That is where I plan to use lots of decorative stitches.

I have a vintage Husky with cams...lots of cams that contain fun deco stitches. Cam A holds the utility stitches and cams B-H are all full of fun things. And they can be combined for even more. I must take advantage of that.

Also, I have used some deco stitches on card stock and watercolor paper with embroidery thread to make greeting cards. Might do more of those.
I enjoy making post cards and decorative all purpose cards and use many decorative threads when making those. I've used some of the fancier stitches when making QAYG Comfort quilts but to be honest a straight stitch would work as well. Since all those stitches came with the machine, I have found a few ways to make use of them but not often.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:37 AM
DJ

I have many decorative stitches on my machine. When I want to use one, I seem to return to some favorites though. I once did a decorative stitch on a narrow border on a quilt. I wasn't sure I liked it at the time, but when I saw it a few years later, I thought it looked fabulous. I've used them on placemats and table toppers as well as on hanging tabs on wall hangings. Also, of course, on clothing and other items for grandchildren.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:00 PM

Sometimes when I'm binding by machine, I'll use one of the simplier decorative stitches to tack it down on the front. If I'm making things like placemats, I might quilt it using decorative stitches to spice it up.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:23 PM

I don't use them often, but I'm glad that they are there when I need them...like dressing up napkins, aprons, tshirts...
Old 11-28-2023, 08:55 PM

There are a few fancy stitches that I use regularly. I need a good overcast stitch, serpentine, blanket-stitch, blind hem and auto button hole. But the rest, I hardly use at all.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:24 AM

moving up from a simple mechanical machine to a Janome memorycraft 9000 in the late 90's I was thrilled iwth the idea of all those stitches, I think it had +200. Based on watching Nancy Zieman make such pretty stitching on her blouses and suit lapels.

For my first project I pressed and starched a sheet top, set up the machine and let'er rip. By the end of the first minute I was bored out of my mind. Never tried a big project again, and only use about 10 or less stitches on any machine since.

As mentioned above, in my research for a new machine (my old one is fried) I tried to get the modern iimprovements without any of the stitch extravaganza. Zero luck. IF I wanted must haves I had to take all the stitches. crazy.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:50 PM

I almost always use a non-straight stitch on my machine sewn bindings. Mostly I use serpentine and three step zigzag. I also use the overcast stitches on the edge of quilts before I bind them if I am away from my serger. However all of those are what my machine calls “practical stitches”, not really decorative. On my non-vintage machine I have used a feather stitch and a few others on baby things, but it is rare.