Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remembering our old-fashioned motherhood days... >

Remembering our old-fashioned motherhood days...

Remembering our old-fashioned motherhood days...

Old 11-29-2023, 10:36 AM

With my first one, I used cloth diapers and rubber pants. When she was left with her dad, I always came home to find her in disposable diapers When the second one came along, he was a preemie so we went disposable diapers as it was easier to fit him. The rest is pretty much how I raised my kiddos. The grands were in disposable diapers. We discovered with the youngest that he had an allergy to the formula. I had my goats at that point and put him on fresh goats milk, which was what he needed.

Love this discussion.

Goatmom
Old 11-29-2023, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
Any other moms remember the slapping, suction, pitter-patter sound those old one-piece rubber-soled (footed) sleepers made when our little ones would toddle around the house on those old linoleum floors?

I could hear my kids coming from a mile away!
Did you cut off the foot part when the kids got too tall for the footie pajamas? That is what I did. We could get another year's use out of them that way.

I also used cloth diapers for both my boys, breastfed them both, and was a stay at home mom.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Goatmom View Post
With my first one, I used cloth diapers and rubber pants. When she was left with her dad, I always came home to find her in disposable diapers When the second one came along, he was a preemie so we went disposable diapers as it was easier to fit him. The rest is pretty much how I raised my kiddos. The grands were in disposable diapers. We discovered with the youngest that he had an allergy to the formula. I had my goats at that point and put him on fresh goats milk, which was what he needed.

Love this discussion.

Goatmom
It was disposable diapers for my grands, too.

I'm with you, Goatmom, enjoying hearing from everyone as well.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by mmunchkins View Post
Did you cut off the foot part when the kids got too tall for the footie pajamas? That is what I did. We could get another year's use out of them that way.

I also used cloth diapers for both my boys, breastfed them both, and was a stay at home mom.
I never cut the feet off of the pyjamas, but what a nifty and thrifty idea to help get extra-added wear out of the pyjamas!

Do remember using a diaper pin to pin rubber pants on like a diaper when the elastic waistband would go! I'd pin right through the elastic waistband or the vinyl right at the front of the pants. Worked like a charm!
Old 11-30-2023, 06:13 AM

Speaking of rubber pants, I remember the pink stains that would happen around the elastic leg holes and on the seat of the pants after a bout of diarrhea!

There was no getting the staining out of rubber pants no-how! Not amount of bleaching, washing, soaking, or scrubbing pulled the stains out!
Old 11-30-2023, 08:26 AM

I was just giving thought to the old-fashioned plastic diaper pail.

I kept a pail in the baby room for wet-wets, and another pail in the bathroom for dirties, and I still remember how the strong ammonia odour of the wet pail would burn at my nose and eyes when I'd lift the lid to put a diaper in at changing time!

Washing diapers was never easier with my old-fashioned top-loading washing machine. On diaper-wash day, I'd lug the big white plastic diaper pails down to the basement and dump them into the washing machine, spin-cycle was selected, diapers were spun for a minute, then detergent was added, a splash of bleach for good measure, lid was closed, hot water cycle selected, and the washing machine did all the work for me.

With my first baby I folded both daytime single-fold diapers, as well as nighttime double-fold diapers, however, I always found myself reaching for the nighttime double folds at change-time, because they were so much more absorbent and reliable than a single-fold, and so the days of relying on single-fold diapers quickly went by wayside.

Always bought rubber pants one to two sizes larger than needed to accomodate the bulky double diapers. Larger fitting rubber pants were easier to pull off and on at change-time, and I always felt my kids were more comfy in roomier fitting rubber pants... less binding and chafing and elastic irritation, and easier movement and freedom when they were crawling, bending, and kicking.

Also remember how I'd dash a little baby powder into the rubber pants at change-time. Helped the rubber pants slip over baby's sweaty little piggies and up their legs quicker and easier!

Do remember how the rubber pants were always harder to pull off when diapers were good and wet! The plastic used to stick to baby's legs like glue!

If only I had a dollar for every cloth diaper and pair of rubber pants I changed in my day, I'd be rich!
Old 11-30-2023, 08:36 AM

In ode to this topic...

Throwback Thursday question for the day:

Okay all you old-timey babysitters of the past, time to spill the beans... hands-up if you changed cloth diapers and rubber pants when you babysat!

Me!!! Holding hand up high! Cloth diapers and rubber pants always (1970's)!
Old 11-30-2023, 07:57 PM

As a "young" mom in the thick of it I have to say, not as much has changed as you might think. I say "young" because while my age is still young, I feel much older, as I'm expecting our seventh baby next summer and had twins last Christmas! I still have cribs with the sides that lower and I let my babies sleep as they like. Heavens, I would probably get a wrap on the knuckles by the "experts", but my twins have shared their crib together since the first day home from the hospital. They sleep better that way, curled up beside each other. It's so cute, because my little girl twin always scoots over to her twin brother's side of the crib and snuggles up, sometimes even laying on him! And he sleeps right through it!

I also prop their bottles up for their feeds with baby blankets. It's the only way I can do it most days! I breastfed all our other babies, but couldn't keep it up with the twins, especially with them being premature.

I do raise all our kids very simply and let them play by themselves. I had someone over to visit the other day and she was shocked how, once the twins had finished their breakfast of dry cheerios, I took them out of their high chairs and went and put them to play on the living room floor, then came back to the kitchen to start dishes. She was asking if they were okay by themselves and I said, " oh yes they are fine. The two and four year olds will keep an eye on them!"

I will say that one thing that has probably changed is the disposable diapers aren't as horrible nowadays as you described, with the bunching up, leaking and tearing. If you get a good brand, ie Costcos or Sams Clubs, they are pretty good and don't scream plastic. I did do cloth diapers for two of our babies, until the twins came, and honestly with the price of water nowadays, I don't know if it saved much $$$, which was the main reason I did it. I did like the fact that I never ran out of diapers, and if the pile of clean diapers was low, I would just wash another load. But when the twins arrived, they were so small! Even the hospital disposal preemie diapers were too big! And once the twins grew, I was so overwhelmed with two babies plus four other children, washing diapers wasn't on my radar. Costco diapers do the job! Maybe I'll do cloth diapers again for the next baby, since it's just one this time around!

As for little tikes running around in padded footie pajamas don't worry, we still get to enjoy that! I've done the cutting off the feet part of the pjs many times before, too. And then when the pajamas are too old to wear, I cut them into memory bears for the kids. They love that!
Old 11-30-2023, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

Wonder what people did for "diapers" before "cloth" was available?

Especially in cold climates?
Old 12-01-2023, 05:18 AM

I wonder what moms did before rubber pants?

I read once that the poor moms in London's slums in the '40s and '50s would let their babies and toddlers go diaperless because it was easier to clean a mess on the floor than wash laundry all day.