Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 11-28-2023, 01:33 AM

I have clue #1 complete. Question for the experienced - one of my fabric scraps I was only able to get 10 pieces, not multiples of 4 as directed. Is that going to be a problem? Will there be explosions?*

(*Ok, probably not)
Old 11-28-2023, 05:09 AM

Rff1010 -- the color placement as in dark/neutral is probably more important than the actual fabrics, especially if your fabrics are close in value/scale. When Bonnie specifies groups of whatever, there is generally a step where we put those units together in some way usually as blocks but not always to fill out an overall or secondary pattern. Sometimes we are given directions just to help the "mystery" part. The reality is that one block a little not like the others will probably get lost in the overall project.

I'd play with your pieces in various ways, combining them into various HST shapes like broken dishes, or pinwheels and see how you feel about them. Not too late to make an additional group if you aren't happy, what's a couple of extra HST after all??

I still think these are awfully big units for a Bonnie Hunter project and that maybe we will cut them in half and recombine them later.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
I have clue #1 complete. Question for the experienced - one of my fabric scraps I was only able to get 10 pieces, not multiples of 4 as directed. Is that going to be a problem? Will there be explosions?*

(*Ok, probably not)
It looks like I'll have some of these odd ones out, too. I'll probably want mine matching in the end (so will just put the extras aside), but it would probably work perfectly well if they didn't match, too.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
The GO works best for me when I have multiples of the same shape to cut from the same fabric . What I have done is buy a fair number of the dies that make muliples of the same shape. For example my 21/2 inch unfinished die has 9 squares on it. So I have marked with a marker 1/4 inch out from all sides of those shapes. The cutting part on this die is 7.5 inches and when I marked that 1/4 of an inch it brings the marked area to 8 X 8 This is the size I cut my fabric. I can now layer up to six layers of 8 X 8 inch squares of fabric on this die. That will give me 9 X 6 = 36 2.5 inch squares cut with one pass. It goes pretty well and there really isn't that much waste. I find I can skimp on the 1/4 inch allowance but I find I get a cleaner gut with that 1/4 inch extra. I usually also only layer 4 fabrics which gives me 9 X 4 or 24 squares with one pass. It is easier to turn the crank and I get a bit more accurate cuts as sometimes when I use 6 layers, they will slide a bit. Hope this hint helps. I really don't like the cubes very much because they only usually have one or two shapes on the sides.

Oh and on the mysteries, I usually look at the total number of shapes needed, then look at the number of different fabrics, divide the total by that number and then cut the number of each I need to get the total. If I have smaller scraps, I just cut them first and then start on the bigger scraps. I do layer smaller scraps too and I have sometimes marked additional lines that go all the way to the edge of the die so I know that scrap will cover how many individual cuts they will make.
Thanks for this detailed info, sewingpup! I was disappointed at the limited number of basic die shapes I was able to find after I bought my cutter recently. It seems as though they are focusing on manufacturing mostly specialty dies that I will never have an interest in using.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:38 PM

Jo's Mom I have only about 3 of the specialty dies. Most of the dies I have bought are the strip dies. I have 1, 1 1/2, 2, 2.5 inch strip ones. Any bigger I figure I can cut them with my rotary cutter just as fast. I also got some of the smaller square ones. I find I use the 2, 2.5, 3.5, and 5 inch ones of those the most. I got some of the 1/2 square triangle dies, a few of the quarter square ones, and a couple of the triangle in a square ones. And I have a few others ones. I have to admit that over the years of doing Bonnies mystery's I seldom don't have the dies I need for the clues. I probably use my 2.5 strip cutter the most as I do my bindings that size normally. I try and purchase them when they have sales and try and get enough of them to get free shipping. If I don't need more dies to do that, I will order the extra cutting mats as they do wear out after a while. I don't think I would use most of those specialty dies enough to justify the cost. The circle die I got so as to get free shipping and I actually have used it a few times. It was on sale and not much more than I would have paid for the shipping I got free shipping. They had some good sales over the holidays a few years ago.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:28 AM

I'm looking forward to getting clue 2 tomorrow. I'm working on a very involved paper pieced pattern in the mean time. It consists of 24 pieced spikes, and I got 6 of them done and assembled and am now working on sets of 18 to finish up. Each spike has about 25 subpieces. I'm shooting for completing one set a day, we'll see how that goes. I'm working on piece 6 right now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20230809_063538.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	646476  
Old 11-30-2023, 10:42 AM

WOW! Macybaby -- I'm impressed even if your cat takes that for granted!!

I'm doing a little work on my string quilt border, but just got back from a (fabric) shopping expedition about 45 miles away in Bloomington, place called Boline's Quilt Fabric Warehouse right across from the airport.. Sadly, they don't do internet orders any more but is a shop full of "quilt shop" brands at discount prices. The 108" backs are $12, 14, or 16 a yard and regular fabric prices are $6.99 to 8.99 for batiks. Some great 1, 2, and 3 yard close outs for I think it was $2.79/yard (one of which will go into this project's neutral stack). I am amazed at how little I bought -- but I can always go back!!
Old 11-30-2023, 10:56 AM

Macybaby - that is just amazing!!! I have never developed a love affair with paper piecing! I have done it several times when doing the Farmer's Wife's quilts, but avoid it if I can! I really admire those who assemble these beautiful pieces as you have done!
Old 11-30-2023, 12:53 PM

Macy baby…….WOW, just WOW.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:39 PM

Macybaby - Stunning! Love the colors and the pattern! and of course, your sewing is done beautifully.