Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
4 Handmade Quilts >

4 Handmade Quilts

4 Handmade Quilts

Old 11-21-2023, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
We liketothink the quilts will find a good home throughout efforts.
Good point.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 11-22-2023, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
The first one is called Cathedral Window, and in my humble may be the most valuable one of the four. Gosh, it's gorgous!
I absolutely agree. This quilt is work intensive and would not be done quickly but likely over many years. Each is beautiful in its own way. Another option if you wish to seek a proper value is to: 1. contact one of the large quilt organization in your region of the country. They could direct you to an appraiser. 2. If you have a university or college with a textiles department or fashion design department it is not uncommon to have an expert on historical fabrics on faculty, 3. a local museum. I live in a mid-sized town and we have curator of all things made of fabric (clothing, furniture, quilts and other home goods).

You have an adventure ahead of you. Those four pieces are certainly more than beautiful quilts. They are part of your family history. Enjoy them if you can and if not honor them and the quilt maker by putting them in the hands of someone who will cherish them.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:42 AM

Wow is right! The original poster seemed oblivious to the awesomeness of these quilts but I'm glad they posted and thank you for picking up this thread so we can all see!
​​​​​. So gorgeous and each one a piece of history.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:33 AM

Tripped upon this thread. I know it’s old. But that cathedral windows quilt is indeed very impressive! It may inspire me to do one. I don’t question anyone wanting to sell a relative’s quits. Perhaps they are acting as executrix(or) for a family where no one wants the quilts. Perhaps they need money for other things. I credit her for searching and coming to a board like this for advice.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:53 AM

Why do we keep getting posts that are anywhere from 4 to 10+ years old? I feel so stupid for posting on some of fhem.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:03 AM

WoW!
All looks awesome!
Old 12-01-2023, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Given the age of the thread, I expect the poster has already found some solution.

I am always bugged by these sorts of queries, where someone wants information to make money and has no interest in the quilt or quilting. Everyone here is so kind and helpful, they usually get it.

JMO,
charlotte
Thank you, Charlotte. These threads always bug me, too. All they seem to care about it how much money they can get. No thought to having something from previous generations to pass on.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:20 PM

I sincerely hope the poster was able to sell the quilts if that was her need to do so. Wonderful quilts. some would pay $400.00 for the first quilt. I wonder if she is still active here? shame if not.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:02 AM

You have been busy, great work.